View Full Version : front brakes locking on

bally12
24-08-2010, 04:43 PM
i went for a short drive only 6 klms this arv to pick the sister up from school and when returning i noticed that under braking the tj would turn very sharply to the left. got home and found the front right brakes smoking away and the front left ones near enough to smoking. what would cause the brakes to suddenly start to lock on while driving? my brake pedal doesnt feel any different when braking, the tj slows down the same as it did before hand but now im quiet literally smoking!

any ideas?

flexytj
24-08-2010, 04:47 PM
buggered calliper . pop the piston ou of the calliper and have a look to see if the bore is pitted sometimes you can clean them up and they are ok but it is best to hone them and put new seals in and put fresh fluid in .

if it is knackered i may have a calliper or two in my shed if you get stuck

bally12
24-08-2010, 04:50 PM
cheers mate, il let you know wen i find out what the go is with them, yet ANOTHER thing wrong with this tj!

bally12
24-08-2010, 04:55 PM
also forgot to mention that i had new brake pads put in 2000klm ago and new hub assembly on the front right if that makes any difference.........

bally12
24-08-2010, 04:59 PM
cheers jeepology, il have a look on youtube for these now.

jeepinjohnno
24-08-2010, 08:17 PM
Happend when i owned my xj i changed the fluid fixed the problem

CheSter
24-08-2010, 08:28 PM
Used to happen to me when ever I did mud work .. I tend to keep away from the stuff these days. My old solution would be once I noticed it had grabbed park it for 4-5 minutes and it would normally sort it self out.

C

flexytj
24-08-2010, 08:31 PM
cheers mate, il let you know wen i find out what the go is with them, yet ANOTHER thing wrong with this tj!

no probs man

bally12
25-08-2010, 02:14 PM
managed to get them freed up today, a few decent hits with the hammer and cracked the lines and its all good, also decided to check rear brake shoes...... wooders recieved a call about those:)

ZacsTJ
26-08-2010, 11:53 AM
You are sure having a lot of bad luck with your TJ Joshy...

bally12
26-08-2010, 01:33 PM
Oh yeah I sure am. Oh well I'm getting good at pulling it apart now and bush mechanic skills are getting better too

brenttj
26-08-2010, 02:39 PM
********ing sell it already bally sounds like yours has been a complete nightmare

stu
26-08-2010, 04:31 PM
Top up your brake fluid.

By nature of design they apply pressure to the break when fluid is low and due to the position of the proportioning valve and the length of hose to your breaks the front left tyre applies first.

Well that's what ive been told.

bally12
26-08-2010, 05:51 PM
********ing sell it already bally sounds like yours has been a complete nightmare

not wrong and it will be sold as soon as i have the things fixed that are stuffed now. im thinking of advertising it for 9 and seeing what happens from there

bally12
26-08-2010, 05:52 PM
Top up your brake fluid.

By nature of design they apply pressure to the break when fluid is low and due to the position of the proportioning valve and the length of hose to your breaks the front left tyre applies first.

Well that's what ive been told.

yeah mate that was the first thing i checked, fluid level is all good, i got in contact with the brakes mob and they advised me that if by cracking the lines then it was most likely the master cylinder either clogged with some shit or its about to die

stroked
26-08-2010, 08:45 PM
not wrong and it will be sold as soon as i have the things fixed that are stuffed now. im thinking of advertising it for 9 and seeing what happens from there

what year is it?

bally12
26-08-2010, 09:07 PM
2000 model

Judd
26-08-2010, 09:17 PM
cant sell it now mate, its like new now lol

stu
27-08-2010, 08:06 AM
yeah mate that was the first thing i checked, fluid level is all good, i got in contact with the brakes mob and they advised me that if by cracking the lines then it was most likely the master cylinder either clogged with some shit or its about to die

the truth is that was only my guess after my front locked up down Coronation drive, milton one day....the break pad heated up so much that it caught fire.

At first i thought people were just being friendly but they were trying to tell me that my car was on fire.

luckily i have a mate that lives in St lucia and i pulled in let it cool down, topped it up and all was good.

bally12
27-08-2010, 08:09 AM
the truth is that was only my guess after my front locked up down Coronation drive, milton one day....the break pad heated up so much that it caught fire.

At first i thought people were just being friendly but they were trying to tell me that my car was on fire.

luckily i have a mate that lives in St lucia and i pulled in let it cool down, topped it up and all was good.

Hmmm sounds like it could have gotten serious really quickly there. Mine were really smoking away when I got home so I guess I wasn't far off fire either

stroked
27-08-2010, 09:13 AM
whats left to fix on yours before you sell it bally?

krankieone
27-08-2010, 09:36 AM
happened to me not too long ago turns out to have bakelite pistons in the callipers replaced these with steel and new seals cost under $200 for parts with new pads

bally12
27-08-2010, 09:08 PM
whats left to fix on yours before you sell it bally?

have to sort out the front brakes as they have locked back on again, sort out the rear driveshaft (see if this one can be fixed or replace it), sort out rear diff yoke, sort out why it isnt idling properly and why it acts like a flooding carby when it is been giving the gas at 1400-1600 rpm, sort out the fan clutch, sort out control arm bushes................ i can keep going

stroked
28-08-2010, 10:25 AM
dont worry about the little things, just mask it up.
you may aswell keep this one now as you've just about fixed everything on it once.

think about it, if you just get new control arms instead of buying only bushes ect.