View Full Version : Speakers replacement

dan1984
24-08-2010, 09:30 PM
I have read through a few posts on these forums on people who have updated their sound systems in there TJ's.

I have a 2004 Renegade TJ. I'm looking at replacing speakers in soundbar and dash.. sound at moment is pretty poor, i like a bit of aussie hip hop and the stocks dont handle it well. Looking at possibility of sub and amp later.

I have replaced head unit with a pioneer already. I was looking at Kenwood speakers to replace stocks. What sizes are best for dash?? And what size are the ones in the sound bar ment to be. Do i have to waterproof anything?

Cheers in advance!

bally12
24-08-2010, 09:51 PM
5 1/4" mate, in both dash and sound bar, 6'' sony xplod speakers will sit straight into the sound bar no worries at all. as for the front you can get some 6'' ones to fit but there is a bit of cutting and fabbing needed for brackets, someone has managed to put some 6x9's into there dash, from memory its decaroliss??? maybe send him a pm and ask what he has done.

crawl3r
25-08-2010, 12:44 AM
yeah i got 6x9's in the dash,

my set up is 6x9's under the dash, tweeters on top of the dash, oversized 6 1/2 in the soundbar with a 12" sub in the back powered by a 1000watt amp

some might say its a bit of an over kill but i like my music loud!

i tried getting my 6 1/2 in the dash and they wouldent fit in the stock position so i just chucked the in the sound bar, made the hole a bit bigger and then with the 6x9's i made up some brackets and fitted them in the dash...if you live in perth ill give you a hand with install

Judd
25-08-2010, 04:26 AM
i have 6 1/2's in the sound bar, 4's in the front and a 10in sub in the boot area, amp mounted under passenger seat.

My honest opinion, 6x9's up front is super over kill, just get good quality 4's and 6 1/2's and you be sweet. The sound bar is right behind your head so the you dont really need big fronts, just decent ones, and fade it forward 1 or 2 notches.

crawl3r
25-08-2010, 10:27 AM
i agree is over kill haha but i had this while set up from my previous car and didnt want to spend any money to buying new stuff so i just made everything fit

just make sure you run your speakers of amps and not of the deck, sound quality will double even triple but using a quality amp for the speakers and of course a separate
amp for the sub

and you asked about water proofing i think, non of my stuff is water proof so if it gets wet im gonna need need new ones but on the market there arnt too many good water proof speakers out there

just get some good 5 1/4 from quadratech i think have some and 6 in the sound bar and your good to go ;) will be more then enough for some aussie hip hop, all come down to how you wire it up and what guage of wire you use, more power running to the speckers is better so big cables to the amp

Judd
25-08-2010, 11:53 AM
well if you already had them that makes sense, not worth spendin coin on new ones :)
I have never amped any of my car stereos lol, they all round ok to good, but not competition worthy lol

MR EXTREME JEEP
25-08-2010, 12:02 PM
i have 6 1/2's in the sound bar, 4's in the front and a 10in sub in the boot area, amp mounted under passenger seat.

I have never amped any of my car stereos lol, they all round ok to good, but not competition worthy lol

Do you have an amp?

BTW Decalloris did you do pics of you speaker (dash) install?

Judd
25-08-2010, 12:23 PM
Do you have an amp

Oops, i sorta wrote that wrong, i have never amped speakers, always amped subs though, i can imagine a sub wouldn't work so well wired without an amp ;)

flexytj
25-08-2010, 03:18 PM
kicker make a better replacement speakers for the dash speakers in a tj quadratec sell them

JoeJeep
25-08-2010, 03:43 PM
BTW Decalloris did you do pics of you speaker (dash) install?

I'm pretty sure I seen a pic on his build up thread, one of the speakers is in the glove box.

bally12
25-08-2010, 05:45 PM
I'm pretty sure I seen a pic on his build up thread, one of the speakers is in the glove box.

The speaker is the glove box:rolleyes:

flexytj
25-08-2010, 06:58 PM
i want subwoofer in my tj

Judd
25-08-2010, 08:26 PM
my sub was already in the car when i bought it :rolleyes:

crawl3r
25-08-2010, 08:29 PM
i got some pics somewhere on this forum, ill up load a pic of my deck in the dash so you can see soonish

you can see the speaker in the glove box but not the other one as it sits under the steering column so it was hard enough to get there let alone see it hahah

but ill get you some pics, i just keep my glove box locked so no one touches the speaker, unlike some tj's i didnt have a sub in the middle console so its REAL deep and more then enough storage for my crap

kitrino_tj
26-08-2010, 12:34 AM
a couple of 12 inch subbies would be cool

dan1984
29-11-2010, 09:05 PM
just ordered some Sony 4's for the front and some sony 6's for the soundbar...

Jeepin It
29-11-2010, 09:13 PM

The front takes a 6x4, and the soundbar can take a True 6 inch. Its hard to get any decent sub setup without compromising the minimum space in the TJ so i hav'nt bothered but when I take the back seats out and run drawers and a dual battery setup ill make room for a ported 10" type R all enclosed away from pri-ing eyes

crawl3r
30-11-2010, 01:30 AM

may i as what your reason was for choosing sony :)-(:

persoanlly i think pioneer would of been a better option, and for the price speakers cost these days you could get a aweosme set up for pretty much wat you would pay for sony

sssboi
30-11-2010, 03:11 AM
I thought it was 4x6" in the dash, which with an adapter plate can be just a round 4" speaker.

And in the soundbar is a 5.25" cutout

Jeepin It
30-11-2010, 06:56 AM
You can easily fit a 6 inch i'n the roof. Just can't use the old speaker covers. And with the dash it takes a 6x4 but I'm going to have a crack at fitting a round 6 inch theirs plenty of room for cutting

Jeepin It
30-11-2010, 07:31 AM
may i as what your reason was for choosing sony :)-(:

persoanlly i think pioneer would of been a better option, and for the price speakers cost these days you could get a aweosme set up for pretty much wat you would pay for sony

Sony gear is way overrated. And cheaper pioneer gear is fine for the Tj unless you want to run your speakers through an amp. I just did my sound bar with $110 pioneer 6 inches and it's much better and spending more on speakers wouldn't of made any differnce

[NVIOUS]
30-11-2010, 10:12 AM
You can easily fit a 6 inch i'n the roof. Just can't use the old speaker covers. And with the dash it takes a 6x4 but I'm going to have a crack at fitting a round 6 inch theirs plenty of room for cutting

My 6" Alpine Type-S just fit in the stock soundbar still with stock grill to hide the speakers out of sight

As for the fronts, a quality 4" is more than enough if amped. Im running 4" Alpine Type-S in the stock front locations with minimal modding and goes louder than my ears can handle.

Will239
30-11-2010, 06:59 PM
Okay, first fo all its easy to fab a bracket to fit 5 1/4" in the front locations. Any bigger and modificaiton to the dash frame is required, which i dont recomend.

The soundbar is ment to have 5 1/4" speakers in it (from the factory), but some 6" and 6.5" speakers will fit with the possibility of drilling new holes. If your jeep has the metal soundbar your lucky, these sound much better. The plastic ones vibrate too much. Whatever you have, i also recommend you put some polyfill in these locations as well as around the dash speakers.

I recomened you replace the standard head-unit with a quality reasonably new unit. If you have not allready. This upgrade makes a huge difference and i experienced a big improvement even with standard speakers. Get one that take a standard 3.2mm jack or USB. JB hi-fi sell dash facia kits to fit standard size HU's into the stock location.

I have alpine type s, 5 1/4" speakers in the dash and soundbar, Alpine 9883 HU, 2 x Alpine amps and a 10" Type s sub. - With the top down and / or at speed, it is a little underpowered for me, i would suggest something in the range of 400-500WRMS for the sub, at least 35w rms for the speakers. Anything over about 20wrms for the speakers and you should amplify them. The box is important, my old type s 12" sub make so much more noise than my ten, but it was too single noted for me and the box took up too much space.

For speakers i recomened the type s although you may like to go all out with type r systems. Dont bother with splt systems, not worth it in a jeep and a pain to mount everything. You may also like the high quality JL coaxials, i would have bought these instead though alpine are hard to beat for price.

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c390/Will239/IMGP0386.jpg

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c390/Will239/IMGP0387.jpg

Cheers

siiycsfb
01-12-2010, 09:02 AM
;1146530']My 6" Alpine Type-S just fit in the stock soundbar still with stock grill to hide the speakers out of sight

As for the fronts, a quality 4" is more than enough if amped. Im running 4" Alpine Type-S in the stock front locations with minimal modding and goes louder than my ears can handle.

Hi NVIOUS, I'm planning on putting the same Alpine speakers in my Jeep in the comming days. I just wanted to know if you were also running an amp on your setup and if so which one?

[NVIOUS]
01-12-2010, 03:26 PM
Hi NVIOUS, I'm planning on putting the same Alpine speakers in my Jeep in the comming days. I just wanted to know if you were also running an amp on your setup and if so which one?

Yeh all speakers & 10" type-s sub running through a 5ch alpine pdx digital amp, sounds great in a small cabin like the TJ