View Full Version : Wats needed for a 4.5" lift

Jeepin It
30-08-2010, 09:47 PM
Hey im looking to put some 4.5 inch coils in my TJ, I know ill need new shocks and springs, sye and cv driveshaft, ive got adjustable rear upper control arms and 20 inch front brake lines on their way, what else do I need ?? and what springs are they best to go for, i was looking at the RE coils but is their anything better ??

brenttj
30-08-2010, 10:03 PM
try skyjacker

stroked
31-08-2010, 12:34 AM
a search.

http://www.emailresponsibly.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/spam-boy.jpg

there is plenty of info on here... most of which you will find in buildup threads and in this section.

ibrocun
25-09-2010, 03:41 PM
Since you have the sye and cv shaft coming I assume that you're not going to drop the transfer case.

You need to rotate the pinion up to about 2* below a straight line between the yokes. That means that your rear track bar will be touching the gas tank, so you'll need a relocation bracket to bring it forward. While we're talking about rear track bars, you'll need one of those, too.

You might as well go with the components from one company so you know they'll fit. A few weeks ago I had to grind down the misalignment spacers on a ProComp track bar so it would fit in a Rubicon Express bracket. Not fun. Might as well get the bracket and bar from RE to make sure you don't have that headache.

With your pinion rotated up so high, the shocks will contact the spring bucket at droop-not good. You can get bolt on relocation brackets from Teraflex. Or you can get them from the guy in the for sale section on this forum. Or you can make a nice clean notch in the bucket with a plasma cutter. Or you can take a BFH and make a dent in the bucket so the shock clears.

What else did I miss?

Judd
25-09-2010, 03:57 PM
what else did i miss

think you covered the rear section quite well, IMO buy a complete kit, then it has everything you need, no guess work

ibrocun
26-09-2010, 12:47 AM
rear extended swaybar links.

nice catch. makes the case for a compete kit, eh?

I've cobbled things together from multiple sources before, sometimes you have to do it in the case of a vehicle that is not very popular and nobody makes a kit that does what you want it to do.

Try lifting a Lada, for example.

But a TJ? There have to be a dozen kits out there from mild to wild that will have everything.

Judd
26-09-2010, 09:07 AM
rear extended swaybar links.

meh dont need a rear sway bar AB:rolleyes:

flexytj
26-09-2010, 10:37 AM
http://www.4wd.com/productdetails.aspx?jeep-sid=357&plID=417&partID=15439

Jeepin It
26-09-2010, 05:25 PM
Yeh sye and shaft are going in next week, ive got the adjustable upper arms and the shockie relocation brackets in already. Since posting this ive decided to go for a 3.5" lift and a 1" body and motor lift, and a belly up kit. And most likely on 33's, but for now it will just be on the OME kit and some coil spacers until ive done ratios and lockers then ill go the bigger lift last. The OME kit is capable enough and if i do the belly up kit it will be pretty good i think. How much are adjustable track bars and which ones are best to get ?? do RE make em??