PDA

View Full Version : WJ steering on TJ

digsy
09-09-2010, 07:49 PM
Hey guys

I know I know I'll get my flame suit out ready for the "search" "search" "search" barrage...

but does anyone know off of the top of their heads if WJ/G steering will bolt onto a TJ?
They seem similar but without the Y linkage that causes so much bumpsteer in a lifted TJ.
I want to do something to fix my heep for a bit more racing before a much more permant solution can be built ($$$)

Just WJs have a "crossover" type steering setup that looks like it would fix many a bumpsteer problem....

Has anyone done this? Can you tell me I'm a fool for the though crossing my mind.... before I get out a tape measure....

Thanks
D.C

digsy
09-09-2010, 11:25 PM
Up to you man...

I have access to both these vehicles too if I try hard....

Again I was just being lazy so don't go out of your way...

Just always looked like a staight forward conversion that would make alot of sense to me to cure the handling "quirks" of a TJ.
I think I'd need left hand knuckle off of D30 WJ Diff and steering bits = crossover bolts onto a TJ... all stock ish parts?

Anyway
Just thought that SOMEONE would have done it......... or knew not to do it.....

fil
10-09-2010, 07:38 AM
dc, im part way thru this conversion, its not a basic swap, you need both knuckles, rotors, calipers, brackets, and spacers, plus you need to space out the unit brg, the rotors need to be redrilled and you will need to mod the sway bar brackets and maybe the panhard/steering stab bracket too, give me a call ive got some gear coming to do it, i can double it up if your keen. my tj doesnt run the panhard so its not as bad for me.

digsy
10-09-2010, 09:05 AM
Ahhhh ok

is it because to the knuckles that you can't use any of the stock TJ parts - like rotors, etc? Just I was "assuming" that you could just swap out knuckles and bolt it all back together and she'd be sweet.....?

Obviously not though!

I should have known to contact you!

flexytj
10-09-2010, 09:43 AM
the halterman steering setup on a tj actually helps prevent problems like death wobble more so than crossover steering , are your draglink and panhard rod
parralell with eachother ? are you using a drop pitman arm and panhard rod drop bracket ?

fil
10-09-2010, 12:02 PM
the mount for the caliper is what the drama is, its different to the tj caliper. So you have to use the wj caliper, which is a plus as it is twin spot caliper, then the caliper is offset different so you cant use the tj rotor and the you need to space out the unit bearing to get the correct operating geometry for the axleshaft uni. It is doable though, im diong a hp d30 for the front of my tj, i will get some pics and info together.

digsy
10-09-2010, 01:43 PM
Yeah I don't actually have any "deathwobble" issues... the problem is that I do a bit of high speed gymkana type work with my Jeep and when it's adjusted for it's current suspension (4.5 RE + Fox RR + Hydro Bumps) when you jump/land hard it alters all the toe in/out of the steering.... wheels end up pointing out on landings...

This isn't so good as when you go over a hump they wheels end up pointing in.... makes for a slightly "vague" feel in the woops...

I'll just pull my finger out and do something custom... not really that hard I was just hoping for a quick fix until I can do the next lot of permant mods... which will include a major steering overhaul...

Thanks guys!
Still love to see picks Fil!

flexytj
10-09-2010, 03:12 PM
the biggest issue with jumping a tj is the fact that that panhard rods ( front link rhside rail to diff and rear link lh side rail to diff) run in oppisite directions causing the car the axles to move in oppisite directions when landing this is a much larger issue than the toe altering as the suspension cycles .

the god of jeeps explained this to me a while ago .

digsy
10-09-2010, 04:10 PM
I do understand what you are saying... and agree....

but I busted my factory TJ stuff up pretty darn bad...
Surely no change in toe is better than the factory setup where it changes causing bump steer. If you hold the steering wheel straight through woops, theoretically it's only the right wheel cycling out which would cause trouble...

fil
11-09-2010, 08:32 AM
i'm only going to the wj steering to help keep the wheel alignment dialed in with the changing suspension height.