PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust / 02 sensor problems.. help!

white bear
06-10-2010, 10:32 PM
I have a really persistent problem...

A few weeks ago i started getting the P0453 code. turns out that the cat was screwed, and one of the 02 sensors (bank 2 sensor 2). so i had the whole exhaust system replaced with high flow cats, a 2.5 inch system, and a sterling muffler. they said three of the 02 sensors were fine, so replaced just the forth one. not sure the exact type of sensor, but it cost over $200 and they said it was the right one for a tj, not just a generic one.

Well now i am getting the code P0158: O2 Sensor Shorted To Voltage...Oxygen sensor input voltage maintained above normal operating range.

The code is for the sensor I just replaced. how could a brand new $200+ sensor be playing up? i took it back to the exhaust shop, they checked the wiring and cleared the code. it came back.

Any help will be much appreciated! this is really annoying me as I just spent almost 2 grand and the problem is still not fixed

white bear
06-10-2010, 10:33 PM
Also its a 2005 TJ with 4 02 sensors (apparently some have less sensors). no other engine mods.

GMEMUD
07-10-2010, 06:38 AM
Have a look here, after you have got your $200 back.
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php
#15123. 4 wire upstream $20.79
#15510. 4 wire downstream $30.99
Both OE Bosch with plugs.
You could buy all four sensors and still have change even after the exchange rate and freight.

bonza
07-10-2010, 08:19 AM
Have a look here, after you have got your $200 back.
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php
#15123. 4 wire upstream $20.79
#15510. 4 wire downstream $30.99
Both OE Bosch with plugs.
You could buy all four sensors and still have change even after the exchange rate and freight.

the OEM sensors are not Bosch and Jeep Wranglers dont seem to like Bosch sensors or plugs. check US forums and you will see this.

someone else here had a new Mopar sensor fitted, and turned out it was dodgy and had it replaced then all was fine. do a search and you will find heaps of info

white bear
07-10-2010, 10:54 AM
it's an NTK sensor. Apparently they are who supply the original ones?

bonza
07-10-2010, 11:13 AM
it's an NTK sensor. Apparently they are who supply the original ones?

thats my understanding too. you can buy them online for a fraction of what you paid

carvesdodo
07-10-2010, 11:37 AM
Well now i am getting the code P0158: O2 Sensor Shorted To Voltage...Oxygen sensor input voltage maintained above normal operating range.

The code is for the sensor I just replaced. how could a brand new $200+ sensor be playing up? i took it back to the exhaust shop, they checked the wiring and cleared the code. it came back.

The code is for the circuit ... not just the sensor.

Faulty sensors from new are a definite possibility ... but I would also double check the O2 sensor wiring from end to end - just in case ;)

white bear
07-10-2010, 12:05 PM
I havre already checked the wiring... Still can't seem to get to the bottom of this! The shop said I can bring it back in next week if the code is still there and they will replace the sensor free of charge. Could it just be the car needs a few k's before the computer gets used to the new exhaust system?

bonza
07-10-2010, 02:23 PM
Could it just be the car needs a few k's before the computer gets used to the new exhaust system?

you should be able to clear the code and if alls well it shouldnt reappear. shouldnt have to relearn a new exhaust system

these are the NTK sensor part numbers. you may want to make sure the correct one is used

Oxygen Sensor Part No. Location
Oxygen Sensor 23018 Pre-Catalyst Front
Oxygen Sensor 23160 Pre-Catalyst Rear
Oxygen Sensor 23159 Post-Catalyst Front
Oxygen Sensor 23158 Post-Catalyst Rear

itchy
07-10-2010, 07:36 PM
the OEM sensors are not Bosch and Jeep Wranglers dont seem to like Bosch sensors or plugs. check US forums and you will see this.

someone else here had a new Mopar sensor fitted, and turned out it was dodgy and had it replaced then all was fine. do a search and you will find heaps of info

How come they do not like Bosch plugs?

white bear
08-10-2010, 10:11 AM
Another code has appeared now, in addition to P0158, I also have P0058!

I have checked the wiring. What is the difference between the part numbers for NTK sensors? maybe the shop put the wrong part number on?

bonza
09-10-2010, 07:21 AM
the two pre cat sensors are the same except for the length of the pigtail and same goes for the post cat. but the pre and post cat sensors are different and are not interchangeable

Bosch plugs and sensors dont go well with Jeeps which is odd and I have no idea why