• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • drover
    MonsterMoose
    • Apr 2005

TYRE Change Time

Well Ive had enough of the Geolanders, a great tyre and run a few sets on Grands but they are way too expensive now, am looking at a set of Kumho 265 65R18 with a 114 LR something for towing and a bit of dirt but nothing aggressive, don't want a set of howlers and these are at Bobs for 4 for 3 deal......................... Anyone running these things, going to 65 profile to give a better ride....

also any dramas changing tyre size on Alfa OBD ???
    Last edited by drover; 2 weeks ago.
    2015 WK2 Laredo(ZG, WG)
    Never too old to learn something stupid
  • bjm
    Lowranger Shocker
    • Jun 2009

Went to get a price for Falken 245 . 65.R17 AT3s for the WH GC three for one deal at Tyrepower,Then rang another Tyrepower outlet told them I wanted the best fitted pricefor four of the same tyres,$75.00 cheaper!

Comment

• GCDingo
      Full Flexer
      • Jul 2015

x2 on Falkens. Had maybe 4 sets of them and generally getting 80-100kkm out of them. Have a mate who owns a tyre shop and sells far more Falkens than anything else. He's been on the Maxxis train lately but always goes back to the Falkens
      2015 Granite Limited
      Standard cars are boring. Mod them all.

Comment

• Surnturf
        Established Member
        • Sep 2017

The best A/T is the Nitto Terra Grappler G2 , they are so quiet on the road which is what 99% of every body does and they handle the off road stuff
        They are a great touring tyre as well as towing as they have a great load rating,
        I have had 3 sets on 2 GC overlands , everytime I get in another 4 wheel drive they have these loud whirring tyres on, annoys the hell out of me
        thats my opinion.................
        Oh and I have 285x 65 x18s which give the indicated speed the same as GPS speed , the last set gave me 70k that was towing a 3 t caravan at least 40k of that over 3 years
        Last edited by Surnturf; 2 weeks ago.

Comment

• JeanLuke
          Lowranger Shocker
          • Jul 2017

Originally posted by Surnturf View Post
          Oh and I have 285x 65 x18s which give the indicated speed the same as GPS speed , the last set gave me 70k that was towing a 3 t caravan at least 40k of that over 3 years
          How well do they fit and is there any rubbing? What height suspension do you run with them?

Comment

• drover
            MonsterMoose
            • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Surnturf View Post
            The best A/T is the Nitto Terra Grappler G2 , they are so quiet on the road which is what 99% of every body does and they handle the off road stuff
            They are a great touring tyre as well as towing as they have a great load rating,
            I have had 3 sets on 2 GC overlands , everytime I get in another 4 wheel drive they have these loud whirring tyres on, annoys the hell out of me
            thats my opinion.................
            Never see them on a pay3 , get 4 special deal sadly as I have often looked at them ..... Trying to keep below $1200 fitted and still get a quality bit of rubber ... would like to go to 265 65"s but then would need to replace the spare and don;t want to go there if possible.

That size on my slide rule shows they would throw the speedo out at 60kph to 64kph but that can be recalibrated with Alfa OBD .... though I think I would prefer a 9" rim to sit them on ......

2015 WK2 Laredo(ZG, WG)

Comment

• Surnturf
              Established Member
              • Sep 2017

Originally posted by JeanLuke View Post

How well do they fit and is there any rubbing? What height suspension do you run with them?
              They only rub when you have the suspension in lowest setting (park mode) and forget to raise it before setting off. they rub on full turn on the inside suspension rod

Comment

• Jeeper6
                Lowranger Shocker
                • Aug 2015

Tyre change time looming for me too...currently have Maxxis 275 65 18 MT772 muddies which have now done 51,000 kms. Still ok, but have to be careful on wet roads. Previously had 285 60 18 Nitto Trail Grapplers which were great but they too got very skatey as they wore down.
                The ARB bar on mine dictates what tyres I can fit as the lower front skirt rubs badly enough when turning the wheel while reversing it even can lock a front wheel.
                I'll probably be going with Nitto Ridge Grapplers again I reckon, (if I can get them), as I do like the tread pattern and they are very good on road and off road imo overall. Possibly back to 285 60 18's too as they have a nice fat foorprint...would prefer 285 65 18 but the ARB bar stops that!
                CJ5, CJ7, XJ Sport, WJ HO V8 Overland, WH Hemi V8 Overland, 14 WK2 CRD Laredo-RIP, 15 WK2 CRD Laredo

Comment

• drover
                  MonsterMoose
                  • Apr 2005

Looking at my wheel/rim slide rule at 285 I would be going to a wider rim as 8's are the min size and I like to be mid range, gives the whole tyre a better aspect on the road though at 285 you really close to things and any good hit and your into the tyre........... I have had a good inspection of mine and I reckon I can hold out another 10K km easily before I get to 5mm and thats about as far as I like to go, so a nice early Xmas pressie in Nov ............. but a mild AT in LT just can't make up my mind bt suppose whats on special on the day will make my mind up...... staying with 265 60 as then my spare will match................ ECB bar is no drama thankfully.
                  2015 WK2 Laredo(ZG, WG)

Comment

• Jeeper6
                    Lowranger Shocker
                    • Aug 2015

Originally posted by drover View Post
                    Looking at my wheel/rim slide rule at 285 I would be going to a wider rim as 8's are the min size and I like to be mid range, gives the whole tyre a better aspect on the road though at 285 you really close to things and any good hit and your into the tyre........... I have had a good inspection of mine and I reckon I can hold out another 10K km easily before I get to 5mm and thats about as far as I like to go, so a nice early Xmas pressie in Nov ............. but a mild AT in LT just can't make up my mind bt suppose whats on special on the day will make my mind up...... staying with 265 60 as then my spare will match................ ECB bar is no drama thankfully.
                    True...though with the 9" x 18" mags I fitted to mine it does give a bit of extra choice when it comes to tyre fitment...bit harder to fit the spare in to the wheel well though, it sticks up about an inch and half and doesn't look all that neat...
                    CJ5, CJ7, XJ Sport, WJ HO V8 Overland, WH Hemi V8 Overland, 14 WK2 CRD Laredo-RIP, 15 WK2 CRD Laredo

Comment

Working...
                    X