AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Jeep Chat (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=125)
-   -   Troublesome exhaust (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43642)

cc 02-01-2003 01:20 PM

Troublesome exhaust

Any one help with some advice on exhaust leak. Close to manafold and looks like big job to repair or weld. Hoping to repair with mig otherwise big job removing a lot of engine parts to restore exhaust. Waiting for the money to stop spending on my Jeep - is this what is called a Jeep thing? Old 60 series, 398k and never spent a penny!!!!!!!!!!

Any advice/help would be appreciated.

RogJK 02-01-2003 05:55 PM

Troublesome exhaust

I had this recently - the TJ manifold is prone to cracking where pipes come together and is to do with heating up and cooling on short runs. Mine was just outside warrantee and only 48k. I asked around and ended up replacing it with aftermarket as repair was just not going to last and the system needed to be removed to be welded anyway, ie carb / intake stuff etc. Cost less than the $1100 plus labour for OE stuff and better system, I reacon at least 15kw more than before with freeflowed headers.

Wooders 02-01-2003 07:47 PM

Troublesome exhaust

I've also got a real bad exhaust leak....infact I think it's about to fall off...anyways I think I'm going to get a full Stainless Steel replacement from Suburban....Just gotto get around to organising it....

big red beast 02-01-2003 08:01 PM

Troublesome exhaust

if you guys are going to get new exhausts, i highly recommend HI-TECH MUFFLERS.
i dont care what ppl say, they know exhausts better than anyone is the business. - had a xr6 done there, only cat back, not even a high flow cat and they got 9kw out of it. that was recorded on ford's dyno with the car hooked up to they computers. just had a mate with a alfa GTV go in, did manifold back, as they already run a semi extractor system, high flow cat and this thing fly's. - thats only 2 of many cars that i know that have gone there and come out with big smiles.

i dont care if you can buy a bolt on from suburban, or theve done em before - and they know TJ's better than anyone, i assure you HI-TECH will produce a better exhaust for the money. - they do research into their systems before producing them. - anyways half the bolt on kits sold here in OZ are produced by them - they are under 4 company's or something i'm told and sell em all over Oz.

HI-TECH all the way - im saving up for one atm.

Wooders 02-01-2003 09:17 PM

Troublesome exhaust

BRB,
Whats' the likely damage of a full replacement setup??

Steve 02-01-2003 10:12 PM

Troublesome exhaust

I've heard Hi-Tech is pretty good. BUT I've also heard the headers they make for the TJ hang WAY too low for a serious offroader. You'd be likely to be running no exhaust after 5 minutes on a serious trail.

Wooders 02-01-2003 10:46 PM

Troublesome exhaust

Hmmm that's not good - can anyone advise just how much lower?
Although I'd think a 2" MML will help get it up higher....