AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   KK Cherokee (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=198)
-   -   A steel rear bar? (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=129251)

single_single 08-11-2013 05:27 PM

A steel rear bar?

Ok after visiting a few places and asking around about the steel rear bar for KK, seem like the only option to have one is to make it out of blue on my own. I know it sounds kinda crazy, but even if there is/will be one on the market, it gonna be even more crazily costly to buy. It's gonna be a homemade product so I'm not expecting it to be as badass as the steel bullbar Dave came with, just make sure it's functional.

The plan is to make it capable of carrying one spare tyre and two jerry cans, or two spares. Get the steel, cut it, weld it, paint it and put it on.

So... before I start measuring and everything, I would like to know the following things:

1. Where can I get 2mm steel panel?
I checked Bunnings Warehouse, they do have welding tools but no steel panels. :(

2. Is there any legal regulations on fitting customized parts like this to vehicles in Australia?
'Cause I remember Dave sent his prototype for crash test, do I also need that? What's the main purpose for doing this?

3. Any advise, suggestions or what would u expect from a steel rear bar?

Cheers,
Shawn

Jeep'ers 08-11-2013 08:13 PM

A steel rear bar?

Be careful regarding the rear bar I looked into doing one for my old kj and with ADR compliance and a whole bunch of hassle and the fact you can't carry petrol on the back I gave up!! You can't have an incorporated hitch unless engineer signs off on it and it can't protrude out by a certain distance blah blah blah....

Good luck though can't wait to see the finished product.... ;-p

single_single 08-11-2013 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeep'ers (Post 1426741)
Be careful regarding the rear bar I looked into doing one for my old kj and with ADR compliance and a whole bunch of hassle and the fact you can't carry petrol on the back I gave up!! You can't have an incorporated hitch unless engineer signs off on it and it can't protrude out by a certain distance blah blah blah....

Good luck though can't wait to see the finished product.... ;-p

Here's some tiny info I found on our forum.

Can I carry diesel on the back? My KK drinks diesel. :P

Lucky that I'm not planning to put a hitch on that lol.

Jeep'ers 08-11-2013 08:26 PM

A steel rear bar?

Then you should be all sweet.... I'd also support the side wings to chassis and not just the rear if possible..

Carlos-Notlaw 12-11-2013 12:56 PM

rear fuel

As I understand it you can carry diesel on the rear but not petrol. All due to flash points and rear collisions. This applies in Vic don't know if it is different in other states or if there is a minimum height as you can carry petrol on the roof rack.

Or have I got it completly wrong?

single_single 13-11-2013 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeep'ers (Post 1426745)
Then you should be all sweet.... I'd also support the side wings to chassis and not just the rear if possible..

side wings to chassis??

single_single 13-11-2013 04:13 PM

One more thing that I'm still not sure.
Is it required that rear bars must have brake, reverse and turn signals on it even if the bar is not blocking any part of the original ones??