AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - Just waiting for my new JK wrangler
View Single Post
Old 16-11-2007
CrawlerStar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Unhappy Just waiting for my new JK wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasperJ View Post
Well, this thread has been quiet for a while and I got some news this morning from the dealer .

I ordered my JK (unlimited CRD manual) back in August, I knew that I would have to wait a while as I wanted a Detonator Yellow one. No problems DC say, I missed the August / September production run so it would be built on the Oct / Nov run for a Feb delivery.

Today I get a phone call from my dealer saying its now due to be built in Jan and delivered in March. But the plus side is the 16" wheels have been discontinued for the Sport and all 08 JK's will come with the 17" wheels from the Rubi .

I know I could have had one earlier if I picked another colour or an Auto, I figure if you are going to buy a new vehicle you might as well make sure you get what you want as you will have it for a while (at least I will any way).

So how long have you all waited?
... Detonator yellow hey... well.. you'll turn heads ..thats for sure. I'm not sure whether you're aware but it appears all the manuals (CRD) from the recent shipment... and any further shipments..will be supplied with a 3.21 diff ratio ! The original few shipments in the manuals were advertised and supplied as having 4.1 diffs . It appears Jeep U.S. have even dropped the 4.1 diff in all the models bar the Rubicon.... and now slotting in 3.73's as the highest ratio available on the Sahara & Sport... and the ratio specified if you go the 'Tow Group'...as they like to call it.. I for one... am a little dissappointed. It appears from others on the site...that 4.1...while allowing for some impressive crawl figures in low range... still puts the revs too high for general highway work and probably pushing economy figures down. I've test driven an Unlimited with 3.21's.. and while it's driveable on it's stock 255/75 R17's... fifth gear is marginal...and 6th is a waste of time. So much for the ultra low first gear for off road work...as it's been negated by the gearing. No 2nd gear take offs in this configuration ! The auto...strangely enough..is getting 3.73's ?? I would have thought if anything they would go the other way and allow the torque converter to compensate. I've fired off a few emails to D.C. Australia to see if 3.73's are an 'order option' on the manual. After all..if you plan on towing...you should be running 3.73's even according to Jeeps recommendations ! ...and I don't feel you should be forced to buy an auto. Still waiting on some feed back from D.C. I went through all this with the TJ and 3.07 gearing and while it's an achievable fix (at our expense mind you)...I don't think it should be necessary. Love the engine in the diesel ...but I just feel it's been badly compromised with this gearing set up. Just thought you might want to know...if you didn't already .