WA Vent - Statutory Warranty from Dealer! - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > GENERAL > General Jeep Chat
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 20-09-2010
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default WA Vent - Statutory Warranty from Dealer!

hey guys,

bit of a vent - hassles a dealer is giving us with the purchase of an 05 TJ.

I know some will say dealer warranty is a load of crock, and in some way I agree but as a purchase we have rights, and im very close to going to the commission of fair trading and making a complaint.

After having the TJ for less than a week, we noticed there's a bit of a leak - engine oil. We checked the oil level and behold it was overfilled - by ALOT. after dropping some of the oil it continued to drip a little so the car was booked in with the dealer - less then 200kms from purchase.

Spent 3 days there as according to the dealer the part - rocker cover gasket - wasn't available (Bull). They apparently replaced it, washed it down, drove it - tested it and was good. Too bad it only took a 30km drive home to find more oil under the car the next day.

I took it to a jeep dealership for a general check and diagnosis (cost me money) and was told theres still a leak from the rocker cover gasket, but also a leak from the exhaust manifold gasket - cause of the car idling a bit rough and using alot more fuel than it should.

With dad going overseas for 3.5 weeks (his car), dad called into the dealer to make an appointment for when he returns - requesting they get the necessary parts (list from jeep with cost estimated provided).
Dad dropped the car off this morning and found the dealer totally unprepared for the repairs - they need to get prices on parts etc etc - I must say dad is furious!

They called me after lunch to say that the diagnosis Jeep provided is incorrect - no leak from the gaskets - only possibly overdue deposit of oil leaking and exhaust leak further down the system towards the muffler...

Now the dilema - what rights do I have to force the dealer to carry out the repairs? they aren't obligated since they diagnose something else?

Dealer is located 25kms from home so each trip is an issue, time and time off work...

What can i do to make the dealer fix the problems! its an 05 TJ with just over 60000 on the clock - yeah its second hand but its not an 'old car' either... just run in!

Consumer affairs?

cheers
Mike
Old 20-09-2010
Don't do it. I'm NUTS!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I'm guessing this dealer you are having issues with is not a Jeep dealiership?

I would be getting a report from the Jeep Dealership mechanics and handing it over to your dealership. If they refuse to fix it and are questioning the diagnosis tell them right away you will be contacting consumer of fair trading.

WRITE EVERYTHING DOWN AS EVIDENCE. Ask them for ALL recepits of work carried out and also (in writing) their "diagnosis".

Also right the Motor Traders Association and complain.
Old 20-09-2010
Senior Newbie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

no - not a jeep dealership - I have asked if I can take it to a jeep dealership and they refused. Went to Jeep in wanneroo - this dealer is in Freo.

i've been keeping track to best knowledge of the conversations. I'll call them tomorrow and see where the car is at and will mention consumer of fair trading for sure. I have already said today i'd consider taking further action if repair is not satisfactory.

Cheers for the response.
Old 21-09-2010
Senior Newbie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

hey,

got some of the bits printed, also have this 37 page doco which is actually for dealerships - what they need to fix and do they have to fix it.

I've had a quick chat to Rodge via PM as soon as we got the first lot of issues, he also wished me luck with the warranty - I know its a long stretch but if we don't keep the dealerships honest who will? every person will get ripped off right?

thanks for the advice - i'll update on the progress
Old 21-09-2010
Super Moderator

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Mate diary, write everything down and I mean everything... every phone call, every email etc... you CAN NOT document enough... there is never enough documentation.

Photograph everything... get a written report from a jeep dealership and from someone else, maybe RAC car inspections... then write a letter to the jeep dealership esplaining everything with the evidence... if no go then YES you need to goto DOCEP (consumer affairs) www.docep.wa.gov.au or is it www.docep.gov.au anyhow they will also want lots of proof that you have tried to get the issue fixed... they will also ask you to write a letter to the delaership first... but the minute you mention DOCEP or Consumer affiars its likely to get ugly... so be prepared. go down the path of being nice, write the letter and then goto docep... they are there to help you.

But as Crazy nuts said... registered post

Cheers
Old 21-09-2010
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WK
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts

Mate talk to the citizen's advise bureau. They have helped me deal with warranty issues in the past.

jk Unlimited
Old 21-09-2010
Senior Newbie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

hey guys,

yesterday i mentioned to the dealer, that if the issues do not get fixed - i will have to take it further. Today they diagnosed a leaking rear main seal... WOW - its exactly what dad and I suggested after finding the leak the day dad found the oil overfilled by 3L.

for now it worked but we will have to see what happens.
Post New Thread  Reply