KJ - Airflow Snorkel - Page 4 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > Jeep Installation and How To's
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 23-01-2007
LOST

What Jeep do I drive?: KJ
Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmohr
Thats impressive ........kj is obviously able to breathe alot better with the Air-ram effect of the snorkel, that positive air pressure at speed into the air box certainly makes for more power.

Do you notice that the car seems to hold it's gears better, not change down all the time, and the engine appears more "torquey"?????

cmohr

yes i have noticed that sometimes i feel like i need another gear now
Old 24-01-2007
Rubicon MOABs

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Default CRD KJ Snorkel - 1st in WA

Here are some pics

Last edited by palla; 24-10-2007 at 11:01 PM.
Old 25-01-2007
Just Build it

What Jeep do I drive?: Brute
Liked 38 Times in 15 Posts

Looks great Palla, now you need a black mesh basket on your roof to go with the black snorkle...................(or some black rims !! :mrgreen) !!!
111 Leitchs Rd
Brendale QLD
Old 25-01-2007
LOST

What Jeep do I drive?: KJ
Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts

looking good mate
Old 25-01-2007
AJOR Gold

What Jeep do I drive?: XH
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Looks good against the white Jeep, nice one!

Quick question; did you screw the 'upright' mount to the outside of the A-pillar? It looks like it from the second picture, if so I'm just wondering why?
Old 25-01-2007
Rubicon MOABs

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Actually guys I wouldnt mind some detailed pics of the guard penetration/snorkel passthrough & the A-pillar mount. My A-pillar mount has been screwed into the windscreen trim rather than the A-pillar itself. I got a 4by shop to install it for me, they rang manufacturer & followed their instruction.
The Kj is out atm but I will post detailed pics of the mount & passthrough.

What has everyone else done?
Old 25-01-2007
AJOR Gold

What Jeep do I drive?: XH
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

I'll try to get some pics of mine tonight, but basically it goes through the gap between the door and the a-pillar, beneath the rubber door seal and is screwed to the inside of the a-pillar, right by the plastic lip that the door seal fits onto. Does that makes sense?

Looking back at Stu's pics (to try and see how he'd mounted his) I notice;
Quote:
... i've also trimmed ... the upper pipe section where the hat fits onto for a less restrictive fit.
I'm told that the top of the pipe is supposed to stick up into the hat to create the vortex that's necessary to separate dust and (more importantly) water from the airflow. The water's then supposed to dribble out of the slots in the sides of the hat, which it can confirm that it does, having recently driven for 6 hours down the freeway in a torrential downpour! If it doesn't do that then when you're driving in the rain, any water that gets sucked into the snorkel will go straight down into your airbox, which is now sealed watertight!
Old 25-01-2007
Just Build it

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster
I'll try to get some pics of mine tonight, but basically it goes through the gap between the door and the a-pillar, beneath the rubber door seal and is screwed to the inside of the a-pillar, right by the plastic lip that the door seal fits onto. Does that makes sense?

Looking back at Stu's pics (to try and see how he'd mounted his) I notice;

I'm told that the top of the pipe is supposed to stick up into the hat to create the vortex that's necessary to separate dust and (more importantly) water from the airflow. The water's then supposed to dribble out of the slots in the sides of the hat, which it can confirm that it does, having recently driven for 6 hours down the freeway in a torrential downpour! If it doesn't do that then when you're driving in the rain, any water that gets sucked into the snorkel will go straight down into your airbox, which is now sealed watertight!
I've got enough gap down the bottom for the water to pass through/out.

I looked at the amount that the snorkle upright pipe passes through the top hat and I believe it would do more harm than good. It just sits too high for my liking. Also, the way that the top hat clamps around the verticle part of the snorkle, the water would stick to the sides of the hat and pass through out the bottom.

Put it this way, i'm not worried.

PS- After long consideration and some consulting, the gaps in the top hat would cause a massive loss in collective air pressure inside the hat/snorkle at speed, compared to that of a sealed unit. I'm very sure (imo) that my arrangement works.
111 Leitchs Rd
Brendale QLD

Last edited by CRDSTU; 25-01-2007 at 01:27 PM.
Old 25-01-2007
Rubicon MOABs

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Default Up close & personal

Here is what mine looks like up close...

I did notice some vibration at 100Km/h on the freeway today on the top section.
Old 26-01-2007
Just Build it

Palla, you're installer is yet to put a bead of black silicon inbetween the guard and snorkle - it waterproof's the hole and covers where the inlet tube goes through the guard. Also stops debris getting caught inbetween the snorkle and guard.

I like the way he attached the upper section against the windscreen frame. I didnt think of that !!
111 Leitchs Rd
Brendale QLD
Post New Thread  Reply