AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   XH Commander and WH Grand Cherokee (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=159)
-   -   Wh Grand Cherokee Common Faults And Issues (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=75725)

Hunter Hansen 24-12-2008 07:58 AM

Sat Nav flakey but never when getting serviced, they MAY replace it next time (52,000kms so far).
Updated SD card with Eastlink Melb on it quoted at $400!
Seat memory probs in that it won't remember to go back which for me being 186cm was real handy:(
Otherwise big improvement on my previous 1998 laredo but some of those CRD problems posts scare me.

popeyeroo 03-01-2009 11:20 PM

WH Grand 5.7 Hemi
42000 km so far.

Sat nav screen calibration went out and the whole unit was replaced.
I have a very slight hemi shudder during light accel, i heard a jet chip fixes this and those odd unusual feeling gear changes.?

My rear seats creak where the latches lock to the chrome bars.- i always thought it was the rear susp but if i fold the seats down - no creak.

The interior air control doesnt turn off the air to your feet when dialled, this gives me icy feet and legs with aircon on.

Front brake pads totally worn out and the disks needed skimming at 40000 km.

Slight rear diff whine at 100km and light load.

popeyeroo 03-01-2009 11:31 PM

BODY EXTERIOR -
- bonnet out of alignment

INTERIOR -
- Cloth seats stain very easy. TSB on this for the dealer to wash for you once.
- Rear seats creak at the latches
- Air control doesnt turn air off for feet-always on
ENGINE -
3.0 CRD -
- Swirl motor for the Turbo may make a clattering noise as this is the vaccum pump on the blink. Also delivers very poor performance.
- Injectors need to be reprogramed when they are replaced or they will not talk to the computer.
- seal on the inlet of the turbo lossens and causes an oil leak from the induction. fix: keep the hose clamp tight or fit new seal
- Turbo wind between 1500 & 3,000 rpm
3.7 -
4.7 -
5.7 -
- Is a known HEMI shudder but not sure if this affects the export model.
6.1 -

TRANSMISSION - QuadraTrac (QT) or QuadraDrive (QD)
- Service 4WD System light will illuminate and chime regularly. TSB to re flash and tighten connectors
- gearbox oil leak
- trans wiring harness seals leak trans oil on a regular basis.. updated adaptor fixes this problem (we hope)
- Couple of reported cases where the transmission has overheated shutting down the car for 15 minutes until temp comes down. This was on the sand in hot weather.

TRANSFER CASE -

SUSPENSION -
- Rear spring mount isolators creak/squeak, TSB fix for replacement isolators

STEERING -

ELECTRICS and ELECTRONICS -
- PCM eaten by battery acid. This is of note and has happened to me as an isolated case. The battery was either overcharging or leaked during servicing and hence the PCM is directly under the battery and it ate the aluminium cover and the PCB within. This caused no end of fault codes as well. Also the wiring harness on the left hand side facing forward of the vehicle had to be replaced due to the acid ingress.
- Window regulators on the front needed replacing
- Air Bag Light that go off & on again loose connection that 2 dealers 3 visit have failed to find.
- no blue wire for electric brakes discont. in WH
- gps touch screen calibration failed

WHEELS and BRAKES -
- Brake Rotors need machining front
- Minor shudder when braking uphill - possible TSB for this.
- pads and front skim at <40000km
ACCESSORIES -
- If you fit the factory nudge bar you cant fit the factory rated recovery points at the same time.
- if u fit the factory nudgebar on a car with parktronic, it sends the parktronic crazy cause the nudge bar goes straight over the sensors

MISC -
- creaking in front door rubbers

cnstr 14-03-2009 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kimamigo (Post 853194)
My ZG regularly gets 1000ks out of a single tank......Kim

Hi Kim,

I have to ask, how do you get 1000k's out of a tank.

I'm lucky to get 550 from mine.

Bought the ZG just over a month ago, and have so far hade to fix the air-con, and now having a problem with the remote. Doesn't help that the guy I bought it from only had 1 remote, but hey. For the weekend she's going to be at the shopping centre :)

kimamigo 15-03-2009 05:48 AM

The ZG regularly gets used between Brisbane and Emerald, (950 k's) and still has 70 odd k's on the distance to empty. It's been power/economy chipped, uses premium fuel exclusively, is in excellent condition and is serviced regularly by me. It helps when ya stick to the speed limits an use cruise. .....
.........kim

neiljw 14-04-2009 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by popeyeroo (Post 927501)
WH Grand 5.7 Hemi
42000 km so far.

Sat nav screen calibration went out and the whole unit was replaced.
I have a very slight hemi shudder during light accel, i heard a jet chip fixes this and those odd unusual feeling gear changes.?

My rear seats creak where the latches lock to the chrome bars.- i always thought it was the rear susp but if i fold the seats down - no creak.

The interior air control doesnt turn off the air to your feet when dialled, this gives me icy feet and legs with aircon on.

Front brake pads totally worn out and the disks needed skimming at 40000 km.

Slight rear diff whine at 100km and light load.

I put a Jet chip in my 2005 WH 5.7L and it ran beautifully, great throttle response and better response with gear changes (no lag). It ran like that for several weeks, then I was getting jerky throttle response and a warning light came on "electronic throttle control error". Also the quick shift operation on the auto transmission stopped working. I removed the Jet chip and all returned to normal. I'd like to put the chip back in and take it to Jeep to re-map the ECM but I don't know if Jeep will touch it. Does anybody know how Chrysler / Jeep will react if I request a service with the Jet chip in.? Failing that, does anybody know where I can get it serviced or tuned by a Jeep savvy auto shop in Melb.??

Roachy 14-04-2009 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neiljw (Post 959672)
I put a Jet chip in my 2005 WH 5.7L and it ran beautifully, great throttle response and better response with gear changes (no lag). It ran like that for several weeks, then I was getting jerky throttle response and a warning light came on "electronic throttle control error". Also the quick shift operation on the auto transmission stopped working. I removed the Jet chip and all returned to normal. I'd like to put the chip back in and take it to Jeep to re-map the ECM but I don't know if Jeep will touch it. Does anybody know how Chrysler / Jeep will react if I request a service with the Jet chip in.? Failing that, does anybody know where I can get it serviced or tuned by a Jeep savvy auto shop in Melb.??

I would think that Jeep would not want to know about it. The problem with the Jet unit (and all the other piggy back units) is that the ECM 'learns' around it and eventually negates the Jet unit. You really want to get a reprogrammer like a Superchips unit which you just plug in and reprogram the ECU and then unplug before driving.