AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - CV JOINT Repacement 2007 WH
View Single Post
Old 02-06-2012
Full Flexer

Liked 146 Times in 91 Posts

I've bought 2 sets of CV axle from the USA in the past 18 months. A complete set to my front door ex USA costs between $280 to $310 depending on the exchange rate but unfortunately these USA sourced Chinese made CV's just don't last on the trail. 2 sets down and I'm now back to original Jeep ones.
The difference is mainly in the steel quality. The cheapies have softer steel and bruise easily when under extreme load and start to click on about the 3 hard run you give them. Also these Chinese cheapies only have a conventional 6 ball set up where as the original Jeep ones have 8 balls. The extra 2 balls helps to spread the load also the steel is extremely hard and longer wearing.
This 8 ball set up means you can’t get them reconditioned here in Australia. I’ve found no reco mob that can do them. If anyone knows of one please pass on the info.

The brand I bought ex USA is GSP and they have a good name but as I said no good for off roading but will certainly be a cheap way to fix a bitumen based WH Grand or XH Commander.

Last edited by multihull; 02-06-2012 at 08:14 PM.