AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - XJ Transmission Oil Coolers
View Single Post
Old 08-06-2010
Full Flexer

Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts

I do realize that temperature is higher than in europe. But do have in mind that seasonal duration is not an issue.
America has a lot of high heat zones too. (eg.: Arizona, Texas, New Mexico...)
and I remember the heat of Phoenix, Arizona very well. 40° to 50° in the shadow...

I know about the heat transfer problems very well. been often in Otera Mesa, New Mexico, a military desert test ground. The funny thing is semis, watercooled or aircooled worked very well there.
That brings me to the conclusion(again) it must be an insufficient coolant system in Jeeps or other trucks. So it is a money related issue.

When do you need your aux lighting? daylight or night? Are the temperatures comparable or do you have a significantly drop during the night?
It is a fact that obstruction due to aux lightning is significantly high.
So if you need an aux lightning system it has to be designed as a quick release system. Quick(!) removable during daylight.

Do not try to tell me it is impossible.
It is the look and the style most people go for!
The try to impress with that rugged offroad aux lightning style.
( I do like it too, but it is simply not possible with the heat issues.)

I do also understand the need for bull bars. just watch tv,they are visible every in every australian road movie.

I do also know that as an example VW, carry alot of high heat solutions like bigger radiators, reinforced fans, lower operating temperature switches.( so called tropical reinforcement)
When I go through the chrysler replacement part catalog I don't find such items. That brings me to the thought- not necessary or no thoughts about them.
Obviously they know about the problems, because they mentioned the radiator obstruction in the factory manual again and again!

So a solution with quick release pins and a quick electric disconnect seems to be an solution- not taking longer than 30 seconds to install if needed.
I'm pretty sure, that not every distance is a long range distance drive.

Sump temperatures are always lower than internal or in the converter.
Just compare engine oil temps. As high as 400°C below the pistons and around 100°C in the sump- so expect much higher temperatures inside the tranny- while it is not an internal combustion engine.
Preventive maintenance does play an important role here. As an example:
The military does change certain fluids on a daily(!) basis after hard use. Did you have done something like that ever in the past?
When did you replace fluids before you hit an offroad event the last time? This does also belong to prepping.
An oil change before a long ride does not hurt- even if it is not due. But it expands heat carrier abilities and avoids heat stress and stress related failure. The small things do sum up!
another example: an agriculture truck has up to several hundred liter of tranny fluid to work relaible all day long.
Compare that with the small amount of tranny fluid in the Jeep and its heat carrier abilities.

Last edited by Deezelweazel; 08-06-2010 at 09:59 PM.