AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - Myths and fairy tails about the VM TD
View Single Post
Old 09-06-2010
Full Flexer

Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts

Just be warned to put the additional radiator into the front of the main radiator.
Yes, a water cooled unit maybe great.
I do like the stock layout because the viscofan ( still have problems to say clutch fan) that automatically supplies the heat transfer of the intercooler with fresh air if the fan shroud is sealed to support air movement.

I do look at the grashopper problem. anything that can block air flow is not a good solution.
Ok, mud can also restrict flow.
Water/air coolers are cool as long as the water gets not heat soaked.
I was allowed to watch experiments with ice fillled tanks and radiator fluid to provide better cooling for 1/4mile races. Can you imagine that the ice is completely melted after one single pass?
What an awesome heat exchange!
It will be difficult to support that in Australia.

I have always difficulties with an added coolant circuit. It will develop itself to an additional circuit to watch and to maintain.
KISS!= Keep it strictly simple!

I know that these solutions are commercial sold in Australia. Stumbled over these aftermarket solutions in the past...
It is an interesting thought- where would you like to place the heat exchanger?

I'm asking these questions with one common background in mind.
Will all the countermeasures sum up to prevent engine overheat and head failure?

I'm pretty sure that lowering intake temperatures are beneficial.
We can assume intake temperatures at the turbo outlet of up to 200°C.
If we are able to drop them down to 80°, we have an average intercooler with an efficiency of 60%, an efficiency of 70%, which is very good
(top brand)for an intercooler drops the temperatures down to 60°C.

Water/aircoolers do operate in this range!