driving with your doors off = cops - Page 43 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Closed Thread

Old 01-10-2009
AJOR Bronze

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by timglobal View Post
one would have an exceptionally strong case to contest, and likely win, a defect notice for driving in this circumstance.
Would like to know who has won such case in court )
Old 02-10-2009
SwampDigger

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i've checked a couple of places here in perth. the only opinion i can get , regardless of any argument to the contrary, or how the vehicle was designed in the U.S. is that here in au. the vehicle was presented for adr testing basically as a 2 or 4 door convertible and compliance plates were issued on that basis. dizzydi enquired at chrysler and chrysler said the same thing. so on that basis the best way to go is to enquire a your local licensing authority what their ruling is. apparently one state will allow them to be driven with doors off in spite of the initial requirement of doors on for compliance. if you adk your local people for an opinion and you told to leave the doors on, you should not be surprised to get a ticket. but having made the enquiry, you leave them off in full knowledge you may be charged, and it's up to you if you pay the fine or try contesting it.
Old 02-10-2009
Pollie Waffle

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

lol even if the dealer says its ok, don't mean jack!

You get a ticket, contest it. Simple! You loose, let us know, if your win, let us know!
Old 02-10-2009
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooders View Post
Agreed. About the same chance of ARB issuing a letter that their bumpers are ok for recovery purposes
On the topic of letters from ARB Dave, they've been coming in thick & fast ... hint, they are making changes for the better after being made aware of certain "issues"

Timglobal, don't ya know ya not allowda say "one" around here, it'll result in a barrage of castigation from certain quarter

Best thing to do with the doors is build up a substantial folder of the ADR's etc. that can been found in this thread (highlighting the relevant paragraphs) and carry it in the vehicle, relocate mirrors & point the cop in the direction of (a) the stickers all over the headrail and (b) your hinges to demonstrate the doors simply lift off as designed to do.
Old 02-10-2009
Banned

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogged View Post
Try driving a CJ8 with no windscreen and empty trailer, 3 up, up the F3, then coming back, no doors screen up and 700 in the trailer, at night, playing tag with the semi's as they slow up the hills but fly past you everywhere else!

17 pages and no one has a definitive answer?
just wear those flash ski goggles
Old 02-10-2009
Time to tinker

What Jeep do I drive?: CJ
Liked 448 Times in 233 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidd View Post
i've checked a couple of places here in perth. the only opinion i can get , regardless of any argument to the contrary, or how the vehicle was designed in the U.S. is that here in au. the vehicle was presented for adr testing basically as a 2 or 4 door convertible and compliance plates were issued on that basis........

Apparently one state will allow them to be driven with doors off in spite of the initial requirement of doors on for compliance. if you adk your local people for an opinion and you told to leave the doors on, you should not be surprised to get a ticket. but having made the enquiry, you leave them off in full knowledge you may be charged, and it's up to you if you pay the fine or try contesting it.
I agree that the vehicle was presented for ADR testing with doors and generally that could be the over-riding element. BUT it was also presented with a softtop &/or hardtop so by that logic it would be illegal to remove the hardtop

However it is NOT an inital requirement under the ADR's for the vehicle to have doors (as i undrstand).

Quote:
Originally Posted by reyzor View Post
just wear those flash ski goggles
Safety goggles worked just fine for the eyes - but bugs to the forehead and mouth just meant extra protein
Old 02-10-2009
Banned

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooders View Post
Safety goggles worked just fine for the eyes - but bugs to the forehead and mouth just meant extra protein
try this...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	prochoice_vadar_vm[1].jpg
Views:	41
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	35874  
Post New Thread  Closed Thread