Ouch! Timing belt breaks at 110km/h! - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > KJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-12-2009
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: KJ
Liked 51 Times in 44 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)
Default Ouch! Timing belt breaks at 110km/h!

Hmmmm, it started off as a good morning kayaking down the coast last Friday. Heading back on the highway just south of Oxenford at 11.30am the KJ lost power and I steered it to the side of the road. I called the RACQ who said they'd have to tow me off the highway before they'd look at the car. 1.5hrs later I was dropped in a carpark at Oxenford and only then could I request the service mechanic to come see me. A further 30mins later the guy arrives, pops the bonnet, fiddles with the manual pump on the fuel pump, and says, "I don't know anything about these newer diesels, you'll have to go to your own mechanic". He then offers to call me another RACQ tow truck who will tow me free for 10km and then at the rate of $7 per km after that. At around 65km from home I worked out it'd be a good $350 just to get there. A bit shocked he hasn't even tried to work out what the problem is I ask why I have waited so long to be told that you can't help me. He couldn't have cared less and got out of there pretty quickly.

I talked to the wife back in Brissie on the phone who had to be at work at 5 and it was already 1.30pm. Not a good scenario when you've got 3 young kids to be looked after. Thank God for Grandma's. A few phone calls between us and a different towing company was booked for $190 with "up to 1.5hrs wait". Yeah right.........

I rang RACQ and let them know what had transpired and the supervisor agreed it was not good. I told her there's no point in sending a mechanic to me that knows nothing about diesels. She said that their system doesn't even show if it's a petrol or diesel. So for that little bit of information passed out to their mechanics, I could have saved a few hours. By the time I'm finished with them they will nominate if a car is petrol or diesel before dispatching a suitable mechanic. There are more and more diesels on the road nowadays.

So, two hours and 20mins later the tow truck turns up to get me home at 5.20pm. As a final insult, his tray malfunctions and he can't unload the car so has to take it away and bring it back the next day after getting the tray fixed. Saturday morning I got RACQ to send someone who knows diesels and within 5mins he confirmed the timing belt had gone, so no chance to fix it myself. Monday morning I again called RACQ and requested they tow me to Hammond's over at Capalaba for free, which they agreed to. I've not used Hammond's before but they can't be any worse than Albion.

It's now been confirmed there's engine damage, not sure to what extent, but the worst case scenario is a new engine!!! Aaaargh!.

So if anyone's got one sitting around that goes, I may just take it off your hands. My car's a 2.5ltr '02 model. If anyone else has any bright ideas about what options I may have I'd appreciate the input. The only certainty is it's put an even bigger hole in Christmas.

Last edited by indiedog; 10-12-2009 at 08:47 PM.
Old 10-12-2009
CrawlerStar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I had the same problem unfortunatley there is no cheap option here is my thread
http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/...ad.php?t=80087
Old 11-12-2009
AJOR Silver

Liked 171 Times in 115 Posts

Indie how many Ks on your KJ? I assume the timing belt has never been changed before?
Old 11-12-2009
Full Flexer

Check out my Ride(s)

Nudge, your thread is a great read, scary but great. The parts prices are just ridiculous from the "stealership" and that's what scares me. Maybe I could get Hammond's to let me know what parts are required with their prices and I can compare with VM. Not the time of year to be ordering parts from OS though.

Glend, 96000K's on the clock. Mark from Hammond's said he hadn't seen one go that early before. I just love being a pace setter Yesterday he said that they'd turned the engine by hand and it was hitting in 3 places.

Hopefully today I shall find out exactly what is going on and what parts are needed. We have to balance the ridiculous parts prices with the fact we have 3 young kids, are paying daily rates for a loan car, christmas, etc. It won't surprise me if we end up just paying to get it done as quickly as possible.
Old 11-12-2009
Just Build it

What Jeep do I drive?: Brute
Liked 38 Times in 15 Posts

Mate that's terrible, sorry to hear that and so bloody close to Christmas.

Send me an email to angstu@bigpond.net.au tell me more about it and ill see what I can do. I have a container leaving the States before Christmas so if there's anything you/we can get for your car over there ill be able to bring it over.

R,
Stu
111 Leitchs Rd
Brendale QLD
Old 11-12-2009
Full Flexer

Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRDSTU View Post
Mate that's terrible, sorry to hear that and so bloody close to Christmas.

Send me an email to angstu@bigpond.net.au tell me more about it and ill see what I can do. I have a container leaving the States before Christmas so if there's anything you/we can get for your car over there ill be able to bring it over.

R,
Stu
Thanks Stu. Hopefully I'll know more this morning.
Old 11-12-2009
No Winching

Liked 31 Times in 26 Posts

Dang..... Thats no good, no good at all..

I'm just about to take delivery of my 2.5 CRD... best get the timing belt stuff organized so I have it lying around ready as I'm sure I will have to do it soon enough as well.

Tales.......of Interest!!!
Post New Thread  Reply