JK Unlimited/Rubicon towing? - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-01-2010
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default JK Unlimited/Rubicon towing?

Just wondering if anyone has done any heavy towing with the 4 door JK?

I am hoping it might manage a car trailer and a modded TJ but that is a heavy load and I am not sure how it will work out.
Probably 3000kg+ I would guess

Jeep states 2300kg as the capability.
Is there a tow pack or anything to increase this?

Any advice appreciated.

cheers

Z
Old 03-01-2010
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 12 Times in 6 Posts

How heavy is the trailer? a TJ shouldn't be that heavy

TJ is 1503kg new. The heaviest mods I can think of would bring one up to bout 1900ish kg. say 150-200kg of tyres and 150-200kg of other stuff.

Dave

Semper scandere. Frater, an attollere?
Old 04-01-2010
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Do you allready have the JK Rubicon? If not i'd be looking at the diesel or another vehicle as even though the tow rating might be 2300kg from my experiences i reckon you'd be really pushing it. My old 300tdi Landy was way better at towing even though it produced less power. The Petrol engine and gearing ratio's just don't seem to work when it comes to heavy towing. The better torque output and spread might make the diesel better but i'm not really sure it was what the Jeep was designed for.
Old 04-01-2010
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ Dave View Post
How heavy is the trailer? a TJ shouldn't be that heavy

TJ is 1503kg new. The heaviest mods I can think of would bring one up to bout 1900ish kg. say 150-200kg of tyres and 150-200kg of other stuff.

Dave
Trailer will be 500kg or so I would guess
TJ will end up being over 2000kg:

Dana 60's or similar front and rear at ~250kg each
42" tyres on beadlocks
Possibility of ~60kg of steel shot in each front tyre
Atlas/stak transfer case ~45kg
Heavier drive shafts
Heavier and thicker control arms
Body protection
Full cage
v8/auto will eventually get swapped in which is heavier

Then there are all of the tools etc. that might have to end up on the trailer as well as a 42" spare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhard View Post
Do you allready have the JK Rubicon? If not i'd be looking at the diesel or another vehicle as even though the tow rating might be 2300kg from my experiences i reckon you'd be really pushing it. My old 300tdi Landy was way better at towing even though it produced less power. The Petrol engine and gearing ratio's just don't seem to work when it comes to heavy towing. The better torque output and spread might make the diesel better but i'm not really sure it was what the Jeep was designed for.
Don't have a JK yet, but am tempted as I can then tow and also have it mildly modified for camping whilst the TJ is purely for competition use.
It's a shame they dont make the rubi with the diesel, but thats really the only one that I want as it makes more sense for me offroad.

Otherwise I am going to need 4 different vehicles:

Comp car
Offroad weekend warrior
Tow vehicle
Fast road car

Old 04-01-2010
DetroitDemon

Liked 85 Times in 54 Posts

Forget the jeep and get a patrol with a 4.8L petrol, put it on injected gas and be able to tow the TJ, shred rubber and be able to thrash off road all weekend
Old 04-01-2010
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Don't want a patrol, land cruiser, prado etc. as they bore me to death.
Not as good off road as a Rubicon, no soft top, not as fun
Old 04-01-2010
DetroitDemon

Liked 85 Times in 54 Posts

Sounds like you've already made up your mind then as those on this forum who use their Rubicons for towing have already mentioned before that they're just don't suited to it.
Post New Thread  Reply