starmobile scan tool group buy. - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > Technical
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 21-01-2010
SwampDigger

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default starmobile scan tool group buy.

hi to perth jeep owners. have been trying to source a second hand star scan from the u.s. but they go for some pretty high prices. the alternative is a starmobile, portable scanner. which links to a laptop. gives full diagnostic scan which no-one outside dealers can give as we are locked out of the ecu. cost is approx $2500 new plus shipping. looking for expressions of interest from perth chrysler owners who would be interested in sharing cost of buying one. all replies welcome.
Old 03-02-2010
Sponsored by Centrelink

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidd View Post
hi to perth jeep owners. have been trying to source a second hand star scan from the u.s. but they go for some pretty high prices. the alternative is a starmobile, portable scanner. which links to a laptop. gives full diagnostic scan which no-one outside dealers can give as we are locked out of the ecu. cost is approx $2500 new plus shipping. looking for expressions of interest from perth chrysler owners who would be interested in sharing cost of buying one. all replies welcome.
505performance has one that can apparently adjust the tune, not sure if you need a jet chip or not but they're about 350us
Old 04-02-2010
Full Flexer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

sorry to hijack, but i paid $40 for my diagnostic scanner.... it links up to my laptop, and with some h4x0ring tells me everything (i assume) that the starmobile thingy tells you/dealers.
what is so special about this one? and why is it only for chrysler/jeeps?
aka. what would justify a $2500 plus p+h purchase?
Old 04-02-2010
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by emma View Post
sorry to hijack, but i paid $40 for my diagnostic scanner.... it links up to my laptop, and with some h4x0ring tells me everything (i assume) that the starmobile thingy tells you/dealers.
what is so special about this one? and why is it only for chrysler/jeeps?
aka. what would justify a $2500 plus p+h purchase?
Cool, got links for the scanner you used, does it allow you to reprogram all the dumb crap like door chimes and headlight timer etc?

I would love to reprogram lots of stupid stuff, like why the recirc forgets it's last setting when you turn off the ignition but the air con doesn't and make the aC cut out when you plant your foot, and remap the throttle control to stop killing the horses when you plant the pedal completely.
It's a Jeep thing, I don't understand............
Old 04-02-2010
Full Flexer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

the tool i got was off ebay, second hand job. it plugs into the odbii port. i actually haven't done anything to my tj because i couldn't find what data i needed to flash it (it's an early model) plus there isn't too much fun stuff you can do, and i wouldn't have a clue what to change for "performance enhancements".
i did however make the windows go up and down on my mums pug... as a sort-of test run.
you need a bit of coding knowledge as it's all pretty low level code, and you need to research how to flash for your particular model. there is a website somewhere with techniques and codes to flash for most 2000 model and onwards cars. from memory you need your vin code and then a model code (supplied by website - google it) in order to gain access to the computer.
i'm sure you'll be able to work out how to modify the level of grind for your latte makers in your JKs.
Old 05-02-2010
AJOR Bronze

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

You'll need a starscan (with Jeep software on it) if you want to 'program' the TCM or BCM. The diagnostic scanners allow the read part of the OBDII, but to write (like speedo recal, or BCM reflashes etc) you'll need the full blown jeep device. I tried the Holden Tech2 device and you can't do all the things that the Starscan can.
Another thing to watch out for is that there are diff Jeep scan devices for diff model year BCMs and TCMs etc...
Post New Thread  Reply