Does anyone run 31x10.5's on 15x8's with 4" BS - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 21-02-2010
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default Does anyone run 31x10.5's on 15x8's with 4" BS

I have a small problem with the new rims and tyres I have just got. The mob I got them off fitted the tyres to the wrong rims, asked for 31 x 10.5R15 on 15x8 with 4.5" BS or 0mm offset and got -10mm offset or 4" BS. As you can see from the photos the fronts stick out a bit, like about 40mm each side once I fit the adjustable panhard. I was looking at fitting new flares anyway, wasn't sure if I will go 4 rear TJ (as these are 3" wide now they wont cover the tyres anyway) or maybe the Doubleblack Offroad ones which give 50mm more coverage (will cover).
My concern is at only 3-3.5" of lift I don't think they will tuck when flexed, I'm not concerned about trimming the guards to get them in it's only the height. I may have to get the mob to supply the 4.5" I asked for, the only hitch is I got them sent from Brisbane (I'm in Cairns saved $200 but it has bit me on the...) apart from the fact these have increased the track by more than 50mm (65mm) which the DOT won't like, wait a sec there 31 x 10.5's they won't like them anyway. Anyone who is running 4" BS please let me know your setup and advice for me to ponder my decision to keep or try to get the right ones?????
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SSL11705.JPG
Views:	66
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	38403   Click image for larger version

Name:	SSL11709.JPG
Views:	79
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	38404  

Last edited by AD007E; 21-02-2010 at 07:53 PM.
Old 21-02-2010
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Let me get thus straight?
You wanted 4.5" back spacing , which would still make the tyres stick out of the guards anyway...= wider flares, = you were going to get wider ones anyway!

Quote:
My concern is at only 3-3.5" of lift I don't think they will tuck when flexed, I'm not concerned about trimming the guards to get them in it's only the height.
but if you have to trim the guards then you have to trim the guards, it's 12.5mm each tire, if a 31 is going to rub on 4.0 it's probably going to rub on 4.5.
Have you tried flexing yet? Do you know if it's going to hit!
I was lucky, my guards are already cut and larger flares in stalled to siut 33" bt I only run 31" so no chance of rubbing.

Have you extended your bump stops with your lift?

Quote:
Do you very much do wheel 4 driving?
Old 21-02-2010
RubiconSlammer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I think you have to make the choice whether you want to stay within the standard flares or not. One of the forum members here added a rubber spacer to move out the guard to cover the tyres. Have a look at that. Try flexing it up with what you have (make sure u disconnect) and see where it all ends up with regard to rubbing. Again, make sure your bumpstops are right. The plastic inner is pretty easy to trim up and move to make more room. Do all your measurements first before you start cutting etc.
Old 21-02-2010
Established Member

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudMonkey30 View Post
Let me get thus straight?
You wanted 4.5" back spacing , which would still make the tyres stick out of the guards anyway...= wider flares, = you were going to get wider ones anyway!

but if you have to trim the guards then you have to trim the guards, it's 12.5mm each tire, if a 31 is going to rub on 4.0 it's probably going to rub on 4.5.
Have you tried flexing yet? Do you know if it's going to hit!
I was lucky, my guards are already cut and larger flares in stalled to siut 33" bt I only run 31" so no chance of rubbing.

Have you extended your bump stops with your lift?
Yeah I know, I'm jumping the gun a bit after posting I thought why am I bothering, but I wanted to get some opinions on what others had done. Like I said I'm happy with the width etc my only concern is the lift height, I may have to add spacers and adjustable shackles. I haven't flexed it yet as I still haven't put the rear leaves in but it just doesn't look like it will tuck. I have done the old rubber mallet trick for the bump stops.
Old 21-02-2010
Established Member

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJKEE View Post
I think you have to make the choice whether you want to stay within the standard flares or not. One of the forum members here added a rubber spacer to move out the guard to cover the tyres. Have a look at that. Try flexing it up with what you have (make sure u disconnect) and see where it all ends up with regard to rubbing. Again, make sure your bumpstops are right. The plastic inner is pretty easy to trim up and move to make more room. Do all your measurements first before you start cutting etc.
Thanks mate, next time your passing by my work drop in and I'll show you. You told me you got your flares from the states can you let me know which ones they are I'm not having much luck finding anything around 4".
Old 21-02-2010
RubiconSlammer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Not from the states. Got them USA 4x4 in Vic. were around $550 + freight. 1" wider than standard. Still cut my guards at the front, but didn't bother with the rear. Could probably get away without cutting at all. Remember, I run the same size tyres as your do, with maybe a bit more lift. Same again, check clearances first for uptravel, correct bumpstops and any rubbing. Also depends on your shock lengths as well?