2.5 TD Oil pressure sensor. - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-09-2008
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question 2.5 TD Oil pressure sensor.

Hi folks,
Has anyone replaced the oil pressure sensor on their VM Diesel. Mine is a 1998 model and I reckon the sensor has packed in.I have checked the electrical connection from the sensor to the PCM and it seems ok,so I reckon the sensor is faulty.Access to the sensor looks a bit tight even after removal of the air intake hose and I am just wondering if anyone has carried out this operation and what snags if any were encountered.
Regards, Malcolm.
Old 08-09-2008
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi,

Not an easy job with the manifolds in place.

Cheers
Old 09-09-2008
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply dxj. I am hoping that removal of the EGR valve will improve access.Hope to have a go at it this coming weekend if sensor arrives on time.
Regards,nsmjm02.
Old 13-03-2010
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi did removing the EGR improve the access to the oil pressure switch as I need to do mine, any advice would be helpful.
cheerio Greg
Old 18-03-2010
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi Greg,
No I haven't done anything about the EGR valve yet. In fact the reason that I came on line was to post a couple of questions about the EGR valve and thats when I spotted your post.I spent some considerable time trying to remove the pressure sensor after removal of hoses in the vicinity and I can actually get my hand on it and remove the electrical connector.I tried fabricating tools to do the job(modifying hex socket, modifying ratchet spanner etc) but to no avail as access is so restricted.I was also afraid of damaging existing sensor and causing an oil leak which would then have forced me to remove manifold etc, etc. So my new sensor is still sitting on a shelf in my garage.This left me with the problem of a permanent warning light on the instrument cluster due to the oil pressure gauge sitting at zero.To overcome this problem I disconnected the the other end of the lead which comes from the pressure sensor and connected a resistor accross the relevant pins and this fools the oil pressure gauge to give a reading which sits over the half way mark on the gauge(depends on what value resistor you use).This is intended as a temporary measure although I have been running with it this way for some time now. I consider the oil pressure gauge as 'nice to know' rather than 'need to know' as I consider a sudden loss of oil pressure an extremely unlikely event,but you never know do you? If and when I tackle the EGR I will re-visit the pressure sensor issue although I'm not sure if it will help the access problem.You would have to be confident that you could get the replacement one torqued up correctly. Nightmare of an engine to work on. I worry about the EGR issue.
Sorry I cant be of much help.
Regards, Malcolm.
Old 18-03-2010
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default 2.5 TD Oil pressure sensor.

Hi thats not the news I hoped for, I will have another look at the weekend and hope I find another way. I can not believe that they would make things so difficult but its a jeep thing. On the earlier VM engine the switch was on the oil filter adapter, it is shown in that position for the Vauxhall Frontera I may see if I can get hold of an adapter instead.
thanks Greg
Post New Thread  Reply