Test drove a Wrangler Sport Unlimited today - I have a few questions! - Page 11 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 22-04-2010
TerraFlexer

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

[quote=malexander;1067934] that the LWB drives better than the SWB....... i.e doesn't "buck and pitch and jolt". just something which is at least better than stock.[QUOTE]

A longer wheel base will always feel better on the road than a Shorty simply because the suspension has more time to settle before the next axle hits the same bump. It also makes for a better hill climber than a Shorty because of its longer stance aiding stability (less chance of going over backwards LOL).

Most mild lifts should improve the ride but this is also dependant on what you want from the suspension. If you’re a desert racer you want it hard (shocks and springs); if you’re a rock crawler; the springs and shocks are normally allot softer but also taller; a tourer (especially) out back touring will be a compromise of both; but if touring and carrying a load you need to think about controlling that load and the spring rates will increase and so on; its all a compromise...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yom View Post
You will rarely find anyone who has been able to use more than one after market option directly (ie: on their own vehicle).
This is true but if you search this forum hard enough, you will see trucks that have changed their gear to suit their new driving habits... Normally trucks that are now rock crawling etc more than originally intended by the owner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carvesdodo View Post
SWB "buck" and "pitch" ... because they ARE a SWB.

Always have done ... Always will do.

... Its a matter of compromise.

The "jolting" from the front end is as Yom mentioned.

It and probably DW is a result of having a trailing arm suspension system mounted arseabout ... on the front of the vehicle.

Again ... its a compromise situation ....
I agree, once again you have to be sure of what you want the truck to be capable of doing and then match that expectation to the best compromise...

You need to keep the control arms as close to horizontal as possible. The higher you go the longer these arms will need to get in order to control your caster (there is a limit to this; the extreme is a long arm kit).

[QUOTE=malexander;1067952]I used to own an MQ Patrol SWB[QUOTE]

Had an old FJ40 with modded springs and shocks on 33's for over 600,000 km over 10 years... the JK rides like Limo compared to that, even before my current mods...

[QUOTE=carvesdodo;1067962]Notice the big boys dont offer swb/mwb models anymore in Australia ??? Its why I ended up with a TJ in 97.[QUOTE]

Unfortunately Carves,

both Prado and Pajero come in 2 doors... but they have IFS as you would know and would not suffer the same challanges as the live axle.

But at least we have far better articulation than they could ever dream of.

"Never get so busy making a living that you forget to make a life!"
2 Door Red Rock Renegade.

Last edited by Gravel; 22-04-2010 at 04:43 PM.
Old 22-04-2010

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yom View Post
His death wobbles and because it is modified the dealers don't want to fix it and he won't spend any money to fix it.

Well actually i have 4inch lift, Air lockers, 35s, all bar work and winch and i DONT have any sort of death wobbles. Actually like i said i have only ever had one issue with it that was the gearbox and it got replaced not a question asked. I will admit it does drive better now than standard but still no comparison on or offroad to my GU, Discovery, Rangeys that ive had with simular description the JK.

Thats my opinion it prob doesent count but everyone else was having there 2 cents worth and i didnt wanna miss out... lol....
Old 22-04-2010
No Winching

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 71 Times in 41 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravel View Post
Quote:
Notice the big boys dont offer swb/mwb models anymore in Australia ??? Its why I ended up with a TJ in 97.
Unfortunately Carves,

both Prado and Pajero come in 2 doors... but they have IFS as you would know and would not suffer the same challanges as the live axle

But at least we have far better articulation than they could ever dream of.
And there was me thinking we were talking about real SWB with axles ... which would be 70series / GQ shorties ... guess I should of been a bit clearer.

and .... hmmm ... a big mitsi 4x4 ??? ... nup .. they was always babies

Prado is now available here in 2dr ???? how longs that been the go ??? I looked at the mitsi at the time of TJ purchase but I put in the suzuki category.
Old 22-04-2010
TerraFlexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
And there was me thinking we were talking about real SWB with axles ... which would be 70series / GQ shorties ... guess I should of been a bit clearer.

and .... hmmm ... a big mitsi 4x4 ??? ... nup .. they was always babies

Prado is now available here in 2dr ???? how longs that been the go ??? I looked at the mitsi at the time of TJ purchase but I put in the suzuki category.
LoL Carves...

bitsamising Is quite popular here in OZ last I looked...

MY10 Prado is 2 doors with bigger towing capacity than the 4 door (believe it or not)...

Still not 4x4's though...

"Never get so busy making a living that you forget to make a life!"
2 Door Red Rock Renegade.
Old 23-04-2010
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Coils

If the sport shocks are soon to be longer, I think these would be a good option. I did not like their colour or the extended length. The knob on the Rancho's adjusts the valving, i am not sure if it is compression or the other, I am no shock expert, which in turn adjusts the firmness. the part number is JK specific, and Rancho say they are valved specifically for the JK. All vehicles have different part numbers for the shocks, suggesting specific valving, so we have to believe it, but for all we know the valving could be the same across the range with the part numbers represting the different configurations. I love having the option of a comfy ride around town, and adjusting the shocks up when I travel in the hwy or when towing.
OME springs - my personal opinion. I think the front springs are to soft. I think a firmer front end will only benefit the front end issues, DW etc. I know many will argue, but I believe a firmer set of springs, and the ability to firm up the shocks will only benefit the wrangler. I am considering changing front coils to something a little firmer, although I am not sure if I will acomplish anything. The rear coils are to long, unless you are looking for a 3-4" lift, then they are fine. The ride of the 618's is pretty good though. I must say, I do like the overall ride of mine.
A word about coil ratings and firm v's soft coils. I am not sure if the pds/inch rating is anything to go by. Almost every manufacturer i have spoken to suggest their coils are approx 20% firmer than the OE coils. OME tell me their front 619 coils are 135pds/in and 20% firmer than OE. King are 170pds/inc and also 20% firmer than OE. Dobinsons are 231pds/in and also 20% firmer. MOPAR tell me they are the same as OE and are also 231pds/in. OME tell me that OE is 100 pds/in, however Dobinsons tell me that OE is 165 pds / in. So go figure. I am personally leading towards Dobinsons, as you can speak with the guy (Ray) who designed them, and is happy to share everything with you, and there 60mm lift, equals about 60mm in real life.
End result it is a personal choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by malexander View Post
Thanks Tom,
that's extremely valuable advise you've provided in your post. It seems that the OME springs are the ones I'm after. They are softer and hence are longer to compensate for the extra travel, that should result in a more plush ride. Also it seems the new RS9000XL rancho's are also what I'm after, do you know if these shocks can be valved to suit the OME springs?
Old 23-04-2010
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Probably the worst DW's I've experienced were in a mates SWB Landcruiser, for some silly reason they put the shackles at the front, he had added extended shackles to gt more height and we then experienced a DW the cracked all the front shackle mouning on the chassisit was like the whole front axle was swaying across off centre, we then proved with some leverage we had no problems hanginging the tyres off the ground by the chassis rails getting an inch of sideways movement.

We had some minor shimmy problems initially with my sisters MQ, but getting decent tyres that stayed balanced and replacing all the suspension bushes fixed it.
It's a Jeep thing, I don't understand............
Old 23-04-2010
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jktom View Post
If the sport shocks are soon to be longer, I think these would be a good option. I did not like their colour or the extended length. The knob on the Rancho's adjusts the valving, i am not sure if it is compression or the other, I am no shock expert, which in turn adjusts the firmness. the part number is JK specific, and Rancho say they are valved specifically for the JK. All vehicles have different part numbers for the shocks, suggesting specific valving, so we have to believe it, but for all we know the valving could be the same across the range with the part numbers represting the different configurations. I love having the option of a comfy ride around town, and adjusting the shocks up when I travel in the hwy or when towing.
OME springs - my personal opinion. I think the front springs are to soft. I think a firmer front end will only benefit the front end issues, DW etc. I know many will argue, but I believe a firmer set of springs, and the ability to firm up the shocks will only benefit the wrangler. I am considering changing front coils to something a little firmer, although I am not sure if I will acomplish anything. The rear coils are to long, unless you are looking for a 3-4" lift, then they are fine. The ride of the 618's is pretty good though. I must say, I do like the overall ride of mine.
A word about coil ratings and firm v's soft coils. I am not sure if the pds/inch rating is anything to go by. Almost every manufacturer i have spoken to suggest their coils are approx 20% firmer than the OE coils. OME tell me their front 619 coils are 135pds/in and 20% firmer than OE. King are 170pds/inc and also 20% firmer than OE. Dobinsons are 231pds/in and also 20% firmer. MOPAR tell me they are the same as OE and are also 231pds/in. OME tell me that OE is 100 pds/in, however Dobinsons tell me that OE is 165 pds / in. So go figure. I am personally leading towards Dobinsons, as you can speak with the guy (Ray) who designed them, and is happy to share everything with you, and there 60mm lift, equals about 60mm in real life.
End result it is a personal choice.
I wasn't expecting the OME coils to be stiffer than OE, maybe the best thing is OE
springs with a spacer lift and the Rancho adjustables.

BTW does anybody think the Mopar lift is any good?

Last edited by malexander; 23-04-2010 at 02:07 PM.
Post New Thread  Reply