Worn front control arm bushes - Page 5 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XH Commander and WH Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 29-04-2010
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 146 Times in 91 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammy jeep View Post
Mine would make an alarming clunk, particularly when the car was changing gear not under load (ie mostly downhill). This was way worse when you would go 4wdriving. I was worried the front of the car was going to fall out.
Mine's not that bad but from info from the US Commander Forum it may infact be the front sway bar bushes. That makes sense seeing i do put the car through some pretty rough and twisted terrain. The sound is more like a hollow sounding clunk/knock.
Old 29-04-2010
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 146 Times in 91 Posts

I took the car to the Dealership today to get them to find the problem. Their diagnosis was a torn top diff mount. This would be the second one since new. Anyway they have no parts in stock so they will be shipped from Melbourne, "and just keep driving, you'll be right till then" was their advice.

I read a thread on the JeepCommander.com forum today stating similar noises have been diagnosed as coming from the front sway bar bushes etc. so when I got home this afternoon I limbo'd under the car and discounted the lower sway bar rod on the R/H side. Yep, the top bolt was loose by half a turn and it made a clunking noise when shook. I checked the other side, no problems. I tighten the loose bolt, put the sway bar back together and on the test drive you'd never believe it, No Clunking Noise!
How about that for a quick and easy fix.

I then phoned the Dealer and explained i wasn't happy about having to pay for taxi fares and cancelling appointments for the day when nothing had been done even after my phone call to them to check the front sway bar connections. And I don’t believe the diff mount is stuffed, maybe a slight tear they can fix at the next service.

Last edited by multihull; 29-04-2010 at 05:51 PM.
Old 30-04-2010
Full Flexer

Liked 15 Times in 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08crd View Post
Bluec you are right on the money, if only the lazy sods at jeep Australia could be bothered to get off their arses and push the parent company for permission. NO THAT WOULD BE TOO BLOODY HARD.
This is all a mute point isn’t it as Commander’s are finished now?
Old 01-05-2010
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 154 Times in 110 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

hi Jeepdownunder, It might be a mute point but it was made last year. Maybe the British car and motorbike industry would still be alive and well if they had listened to their customers in the 60s and 70s. Maybe someone said to BSA and Norton Jeez I love your bike but it Pi$$e$ out oil and blows up in the heat. Maybe Jaguar would have had a winner with the V12 XJs if they had changed from rubber fuel hoses to metal lines and less of them would have caught on fire. Christ the list is endless. The fact remains a company cannot make a product and develop it unless they listen to the feedback from the buyers. if they don't they will go the way of all the other failed Auto makers. What the established makers have to realise is the newcommers are just sitting back and improving on the established makers product. Japan did it now China is going to do it. The only ones with any brains are the Europeans eg Mercedes VW and BMW and possibly a couple of French makers. At least they are staying ahead of Asia. Maybe thats why Mercedes gave up on Chrysler they just won't listen!!!!!!!!

Last edited by 08crd; 01-05-2010 at 12:51 AM.
Post New Thread  Reply