TSB for 07-10 Auto Trans Cooler - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 21-05-2010
AJOR Bronze

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Default TSB for 07-10 Auto Trans Cooler

If your trans overheat all the time, go ahead and ask for this TSB.

FACTORY TRANSMISSION AUXILIARY COOLER

Service Bulletin: Number 07-002-10
Group: Cooling
Date: Feb 16 2010
Subject: Heavy Duty Transmission Cooler Kit

Models: 2007-2010 JK Wrangler (International Vehicles only)

Quantity Part Number Description
1 05183566AA Cooler, Transmission Oil
2 6807188AA Fitting, Hose
2 68071885AA Fitting, Hose
4 04596424AA Clamp, Hose
AR (1) 3879925 Bulk Hose- 1 Installation will rq, approx 64 in.
AR (1) 05013457AA Fluid, Transmission ATF+4
1 06508074AA Bolt
1 050190556AA Foam
AR (1) 04856503 14 5/8 in Bulk (50 ties per pk) Tie,Cable Ties Strap) 1 install will rq 1 tie
AR (1) 05179671AA Corrosion Inhibitor
AR (1) NPN Black Paint.
Old 21-05-2010
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts

All very good BUT...
I had mine fitted and although the engine does not run any hotter, the under bonnet temps have sky rocketed. When I go wheeling the battery gets that hot I can smell the acid evaperating, Im on my third battery and it is getting fried every time I go out. Im now fitting vents on the bonnet to see if that will help. When the auto trans is working hard the air passing through the cooler gets heated up before it hits the radiator. by the time it gets past the radiator its stinking hot and anything up near the firewall is getting baked beyond its ability to maintain its self.
Im hoping my vents will fix this. My brother in law with a 2010 unlimited is getting his trans cooler this week, it will be interesting to see if he gets the same results.
Its good to cool down the trans but the side affects are or can be costly on other components.
Old 21-05-2010
No Winching

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 71 Times in 41 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownSouth View Post
All very good BUT...
I had mine fitted and although the engine does not run any hotter, the under bonnet temps have sky rocketed. When I go wheeling the battery gets that hot I can smell the acid evaperating, Im on my third battery and it is getting fried every time I go out. Im now fitting vents on the bonnet to see if that will help. When the auto trans is working hard the air passing through the cooler gets heated up before it hits the radiator. by the time it gets past the radiator its stinking hot and anything up near the firewall is getting baked beyond its ability to maintain its self.
Im hoping my vents will fix this. My brother in law with a 2010 unlimited is getting his trans cooler this week, it will be interesting to see if he gets the same results.
Its good to cool down the trans but the side affects are or can be costly on other components.

Firstly ....

Congrats to JK owners for whinging long and loud to get the factory to do something about fitting something they should have considered for the international market in the first place.

Shame XJers werent so believing of the infallibility of a vehicle designed to accept factory option snow ploughs ... as factory fixes for XJ issues may have trickled into the planning of JK sales.

Think about your vents carefully ...

Probably best to bang some vents in ... ahh lahh 40 series landcruiser style in the rear sides .... or search for posts/attachments by itchy ( I think ) ... who did a neat job venting the TJ battery area with a holesaw and some mesh.
Old 21-05-2010
Full Flexer

Agree the trans has priority based on cost of failure etc... This does not mean I can ignore the trade off affect.
Carves I have read all the posts on venting and it was VERY informative, big thanks to those who explained the pitfalls. This did lead me away from putting in a scoop as I thought it would be ok. Wrong! and so vents it is. I have ordered them and i wont say much more until fitted and tested. I will post results.
Having said that my plan B is an AEV bonnet if i stuff things up lol...
Also for the very first time my engine temp went to 3/4 on the gauge on the freeway doing 100 on a 40c day. It has never done this before and i beleive the pre heated air from the trans cooler was enough to push it over in the hot conditions. So all in all its not the perfect solution - mabye the cooler should be elswhere so it does not overheat under the bonnet - just my thoughts and recomendation is be aware of the trade off.
Old 21-05-2010
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

hi guys
I think i mentioned this in another thread. My derale trans cooler (with 10inch thermo, on all the time) is mounted above my rear diff. Have been up north in 40c heat at speed for 6 hours non stop and it sits on 190F (sorry its an american pro comp gauge, just over half on the guage). When wheeling in soft sand it keeps its cool and when you pull up the temp drops, the thermo fan (fully sealed) is a great bit of kit to have on the cooler. If i get a hit up front i don't lose my trans as it is not plumbed into the standard lines, this also drops the amount of heat up front. The gauge is on the out side, so i always know how hard its working. The only thing still to fit is a switch for the thermo fan for deep water crossings. One of the best mods, my trans oil looks like the day it went in!
Cheers Mick
Old 21-05-2010

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VooDooJeep View Post
hi guys
I think i mentioned this in another thread. My derale trans cooler (with 10inch thermo, on all the time) is mounted above my rear diff. Have been up north in 40c heat at speed for 6 hours non stop and it sits on 190F (sorry its an american pro comp gauge, just over half on the guage). When wheeling in soft sand it keeps its cool and when you pull up the temp drops, the thermo fan (fully sealed) is a great bit of kit to have on the cooler. If i get a hit up front i don't lose my trans as it is not plumbed into the standard lines, this also drops the amount of heat up front. The gauge is on the out side, so i always know how hard its working. The only thing still to fit is a switch for the thermo fan for deep water crossings. One of the best mods, my trans oil looks like the day it went in!
Cheers Mick
Is that part Part# 20561? How much did you have to modify it to fit the JK?
Old 23-05-2010
Full Flexer

Did some hi revving mud running and rock sliding today... gave the trans and the engine a work out. I put a temp probe between the battery and the fuse box. The outside temp was 19 - 21 c
The under hood temp went past 100 c and then the probe did not respond. I was driving along one section after working very hard to get there and I misted my windows to remove some mud. I have this on video so I know I wasnt imagining it, when I misted the window STEAM came out for the first few blasts then water. This happened several times. The under bonnet temps are huge when wheeling. On the the other hand the trans ran nice and cool lol...
This will have to be fixed before the weather gets warm again
Post New Thread  Reply