Update to Solid Axle - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > MARKET PLACE > Resolution Center & Negative feedback
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Old 12-03-2010
No Winching

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 121 Times in 64 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR EXTREME JEEP View Post
Wow.
Give them a wrap then.
What diffs? Specs?
How much?
Where from?
Share share share...
please start a new thread for off topic (non solid) put link to it here if you want.
Old 06-04-2010
CrawlerStar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Note both marking are at the extreme 'toe' or inner end. (not so bad) But also notice the drive side is right at the top or face of the tooth while the coast side is right at the bottom or foot of the tooth.
I am no expert but looks very fishy to be off at top and bottom on the drive vs coast side of the tooth.
Maybe Solid Axle removes the need for a radio by singing while you drive?

Is this diff high pinion or low pinion?.This diff is exactly how I would set up a dana 60 crown wheel and pinion,you are saying that the drive side of the contact pattern is on the high side it is actually on the low side.The reason that it is set up this way is because under pressure the the mark moves to the top of the tooth and breaks the edge of the crown wheel tooth.Here is a link to precision gears explaing the competition contact
http://www.precisiongear.com/pgtechpatterns.htm
Old 06-04-2010
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi,

Thanks for the advice

It is a low pinion diff

According to the link you gave the 'drive' side (convex) crown wheel marking on mine is at the extreme 'toe' end of the tooth with most pronounced marking right at the end of the tooth.
That marking is at the crown or top of the tooth.

Point taken on the tooth chips, this is what I am worried about as maximum wear point is right at the crown/toe corner of the drive side gear tooth.

From the same link the "coast" side of the crown wheel for mine shows marking near the toe end of the tooth but interestingly is at the extreme 'root' of the tooth. Not quite the extreme toe end of the tooth so not so bad, but I assume the pinion tooth is running on its crown or tip of the tooth to run that far in on the crownwheel.

So I guess chipped crownwheel on drive and chipped pinion on coast?

Not sure how this miss-alignment is done as one at the top or crown and one at the root require exact opposite adjustment of the pinion vs crown wheel.

So I am not sure how one gets top and foot of gear markings with the one gear set like that but I think it may be mis-aligned pinion bearings vs crown wheel centre line.

Whatever it is I appear to be stuck with it.

If I ever get some axle shafts and can finally fit the assembly I will be able to check what it sounds like.

Note mine is a 5 spd manual so I will hear coast side noises if they exist too.

I note precision gear "ideal" and "competition" contact patterns do not go off the end of the tooth either at the toe or crown or root.

Mine appears to fall into the 'toe' contact and 'high' on drive while 'low' on coast categories.

Here is what I think should be done....

So move the ring gear away from the pinion slightly to fix the extreme toe.
For the pinion....So which is it pinion in or out? Precision gear says both!

Danny at Solid Axle said he wasn't concerned about it. I realise now he meant he has no concern that he took my money and supplied a defective axle assembly.

If you think it is okay... you don't want to buy it do you? Never been fitted to a vehicle, Danny says this is worth $4300.00

Cheers

Last edited by dxj; 06-04-2010 at 09:09 PM.
Old 09-07-2010
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Solid sucks? Maybe not!

For what it's worth, I bought some gear off Danny awhile ago for my TJ and a mates ZJ and he was fantastic, I hadn't read about his history and if I had of then I would probably not have gone to him, but his service was impeccable. He waited for me to drive from one side of the city to the other on a friday afternoon and get there after knock off time to greet me with a smile and a great chat.
So the moral of the story is that everyone gets f**ked over by suppliers from time to time (even Jimmy B gave me the run around once but it all turned out ok) but there is someone who has let down the supplier and that stuffs the whole deal up. So go with what you think is right and lay off the hard sell to convince others that you will be treated the same. Everyone has a different story and sometimes it's a story to suit their cause and not the full truth.
Old 09-07-2010
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi,

Yeah, okay we're all really nice guys, just a misunderstanding.

Can I have axle shafts that fit properly yet?

Still waiting since September 09.

Cheers
Old 10-07-2010
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Danny is one of the biggest story tellers I have ever dealt with, been ripped off good over the years but he takes the cake and he’s still going I paid for diff hats and panhards last year he said in stock ready to go well many calls emails and stories from him etc etc I did get the panhards after few months. The front one was not able to adjust to were needed. when I told him he said if only I let him know I was running AEV kit I had on the phone and emails still waiting the diff hats 8 months now it’s been said over and over no phone calls back no emails returned full of s h i t
Anyone wants cheap 44 diff covers you pick em up lol
Old 10-07-2010
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

dont waste your time with phone calls and emails. Go down there and sought him out yourself.