CJ Chassis - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > Fabrication and Custom
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 23-08-2010
SwampDigger

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts

I wonder how much of this chassis flex might have positive effect on offroad ability.
Dirt bikes for instance rely on the chassis being able flex a certain amount, early alloy frame jobs were apparently terrible because they were to rigid.Any advantage offroad is probably a disadvantage on-road tho.
Old 23-08-2010
Time to tinker

What Jeep do I drive?: CJ
Liked 448 Times in 233 Posts

Main problem with chassis flex is what is does to the body - mine from my CJ6:

And obviously the frame cracks

So I'm a big believer in eliminating frame flex - that's what the suspension is for.
Old 23-08-2010
AJOR Silver

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Frame

All due respect to the other posters, but if you use a tree / hi-lift jack, winch etc you're going to get a quality outcome in line with the amount of money you've spent.

You've got absolutely no control of the process if you use any of the above methods. There's probably less than 5% chance you'll nail it and 95% you will either make the original problem worse or cause new problems.

If you want your frame inspected, straightened and/or strengthened go and see R Kent & Sons in Renver Rd, Clayton.

They will check it for diamond and twist on a jig and will get it back to specs.

These guys straighten truck frames every day - smash repairers outsource frame work to them, then do the easy bits.

They have assessed my CJ8 frame and given me a detailed report. The only reason I haven't gone through with the repair yet is I intend to strip my 8 down soon for a rebuild and the repair is easier with the tub off the frame.
84 CJ7 Renegade
85 CJ8 Overlander
16 JK Rubi 4dr
Old 24-08-2010
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Have you got a quote yet Dom.
Old 24-08-2010
SwampDigger

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts

Excellent points from wooders & dom!
Any ideas/suggestions on how to strengthen/reinforce chassis?
From looking at it Ive noticed that there isnt much in the way of front crossmembers, Theres one right at the front then nothing apart from trans x/member right up to the one just in front of diff.Since front has all the heavy bits this seems like biggest problem area to me.
Old 25-08-2010
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The chassis on a cj7 (mine anyway) gets thinner under the engine bay.
There is a sway bar from engine mount to engine mount that's standard.
It could be an idea to weld something there to give it some strength, or a ladder bar, or something similar.

The chassis are quite 'flexible'
Old 25-08-2010
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

frame reinforcing plates:

front: http://www.mountainoffroad.com/_e/Fr...Front_Pair.htm

rear: http://www.mountainoffroad.com/_e/Fr...ame_Plates.htm

rear cross member: http://www.mountainoffroad.com/_e/Fr...rame_Plate.htm
Post New Thread  Reply