TJ: The "Battle-axe" - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > Jeep build up
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-09-2010
Back in ReHab

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default TJ: The "Battle-axe"

always been in two minds about whether to start a build thread or not ,
and preferred a name with a double meaning
so i guess we'll see if i keep updating with pics and progress , at least it'll give me motivation to keep it moving

have had the Tj in virtually its current build since early '04 or so:
RE LAs 5.5
Arbs 456s CroMo axles based around the the d30/44 combo
JB ss sye (1st in Oz to be fitted i believe)
the minimalist approach to barwork ie Warn front & sills , deleted rear bar + kilby tank skid
there's a heap of other bolt on stuff
initially running 35" MTRs and now sitting on 37s in the same flavour

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4746a.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	42486   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4745a.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	42487   Click image for larger version

Name:	PB232286.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	42488  
Old 10-09-2010
westside wheeler

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts

about time wiz.

post up your plan for the old girl, build threads are cool
Old 10-09-2010
Back in ReHab

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

so that brings us to the current day ...
the tj has sat idle for the last couple years . Change in family situation , loosing interest in the 4by scene (maybe its due to living in Sydney),
selling my other other project Tj that i just didnt have time for , etc ... so yeah , life got in the way for a bit

Basic idea of this Build is to be able to beat the crap out of it wheelin without carrying a heap of spares as i was doing and to still be able to make it home ie no trailer queen ... oh , and it still needs a functional backseat for the 2.5yr old

Here's the plan
Front axle : Solid KingPin Hp60 (near enough to full width) 538s , Arb locker , 4340 shafts , Solid drive flanges , 8 lug
Rear axle : 14 Bolt (full width), Ballistic shave kit , 538s , Arb locker , Ballsitic 7075-t6 Al. Billet hubs , 300m axles , disk conv , CM truss w/4 link mounts , 8 lug
DriveShafts : HAD 1Ton 1350 front & 1350(maybe 1410) rear ... the d/shafts get built once the t/case goes in
T/case : Atlas 4 speed (waiting on redesign to be re-released early next year) otherwise Atlas 4.3 + BlackBox-i if it gets dragged out
Suspension : 14/16" ORIs , double tri rear w/Ballistic Forged rod ends , and for the front temp solution retaining the RE front link albeit stretched a few inches. Will keep the RE skid plate (not sure how i'm goin to fit the rear ori's yet due to their O.D. , )
Wheels/Tyres : in the vicinity of 40s , whether they be on beadlocked 17s or 20s , depends what comes up at the time

There's a heap of other stuff such as custom hi-line tube fenders , rockers , bar & cagework etc ... hopefully none of which will be off the shelf items

aiming for a W.B. of around 103-104" with relative lift of about the equalivent of a garden variety 3" lift
although have recently been thinking of using stretched Lj corners for 108wb - near factory tj overhang , but with ability to run 90+litres of fuel in normal spot and still be able to pack kid, fridge & camping gear
decisions , decisions

Last edited by wiz; 10-09-2010 at 05:06 PM.
Old 10-09-2010
No Winching

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

sounds like a great plan.. going to be awesome on 40s..
Old 10-09-2010
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiz View Post
so that brings us to the current day ...
the tj has sat idle for the last couple years . Change in family situation , loosing interest in the 4by scene (maybe its due to living in Sydney),
selling my other other project Tj that i just didnt have time for , etc ... so yeah , life got in the way for a bit

Basic idea of this Build is to be able to beat the crap out of it wheelin without carrying a heap of spares as i was doing and to still be able to make it home ie no trailer queen ... oh , and it still needs a functional backseat for the 2.5yr old

Here's the plan
Front axle : Solid KingPin Hp60 (near enough to full width) 538s , Arb locker , 4340 shafts , Solid drive flanges , 8 lug
Rear axle : 14 Bolt (full width), Ballistic shave kit , 538s , Arb locker , Ballsitic 7075-t6 Al. Billet hubs , 300m axles , disk conv , CM truss w/4 link mounts , 8 lug
DriveShafts : HAD 1Ton 1350 front & 1350(maybe 1410) rear ... the d/shafts get built once the t/case goes in
T/case : Atlas 4 speed (waiting on redesign to be re-released early next year) otherwise Atlas 4.3 + BlackBox-i if it gets dragged out
Suspension : 14/16" ORIs , double tri rear w/Ballistic Forged rod ends , and for the front temp solution retaining the RE front link albeit stretched a few inches. Will keep the RE skid plate (not sure how i'm goin to fit the rear ori's yet due to their O.D. , )
Wheels/Tyres : in the vicinity of 40s , whether they be on beadlocked 17s or 20s , depends what comes up at the time

There's a heap of other stuff such as custom hi-line tube fenders , rockers , bar & cagework etc ... hopefully none of which will be off the shelf items

aiming for a W.B. of around 103-104" with relative lift of about the equalivent of a garden variety 3" lift
although have recently been thinking of using stretched Lj corners for 108wb - near factory tj overhang , but with ability to run 90+litres of fuel in normal spot and still be able to pack kid, fridge & camping gear
decisions , decisions
sounds like you need a 4 door JK wiz... already has the longer wheel base and room for the camping gear and the kid. some awsome builds with 4 doors on 40's in the states
Old 10-09-2010
No Winching

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davesjeep View Post
sounds like you need a 4 door JK wiz... already has the longer wheel base and room for the camping gear and the kid. some awsome builds with 4 doors on 40's in the states

Wiz is not gay

103" wb - 3" lift - 40" tyres = sweet! bring on the pics..

Last edited by OIIIO; 12-09-2010 at 01:04 PM. Reason: .
Old 10-09-2010
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OIIIO View Post
Wiz is not gay

103" wb - 3" lift - 40" tyres = sweet! bring on the pics..
you sure ask him what his daily driver is (well the car that brings him to work)... gaywoo...

Last edited by Fat Chili; 11-09-2010 at 10:14 PM. Reason: editing OIIIO's quoted post
Post New Thread  Reply