Death Wobble - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > GENERAL > Question Polls
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 29-10-2010
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Death Wobble

Howdie People

I got a 2006 TJ wrangler and have put a 2inch lift and got death wobbles.
Have taken it to Jeep Crylser Brisbane for warranty checks.

This is what I have had done.
1/ 2 inch standard lift about $1600 worth
2/ Changed steering bushes to new rubbers
3/ New steering arms
4/ running Bridgestone desert Duellers AT Which has reduced death wobble with balance

Camber angle is running almost at zero Degrees. When purchasing tyres Tyre fitter suggested camber angle was the cause.

What do I need to do do get rid of this annoying problem?
Is there a Forum topic which covers this in detail?
What should my toe, camber angle and caster need to be to reduce problem?
Do i need to adjust my axles?
Basically I guess I'm looking for the holy grail of answers a one stop shop to illiminate the problem lol

Cheers
Greenpeace
Old 29-10-2010
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Death wobbles are difficult to cure as it's normally not caused by one thing alone,

some clues for you

you will need to get some adjustable front control arms so that you can wind in some caster - 0 degrees will cause wanderey steering and a host of other issues including contributing to the wobbles

loosen all of your contol arm bolts, all 10 of them, and go for a drive over some curbs( make the suspension work) to ensure that all your bushes can swivel to a neutral position and then tighten them back up to spec (150Flb on JK). The reason for this is some suspension joints fit the new springs on a hoist and this can leave all or some of your bushes with a twist in them especially of they tighten the bolts with the axles hanging.

next make sure all of you panhard rod bushes are good and if you fitted a rear panhard rod relocation bracket - make sure it's all tight - real tight

Ensure your steering damper is OK too

this is not meant to be a definitive list, and if you still have issues there is heaps and heaps of discussion on every Jeep forum there is....,

Good luck - it's not just a Jeep thing

Ado

My continuing all of Life crisis

Last edited by Adomw07; 29-10-2010 at 08:20 PM. Reason: poor literacy skills
Old 30-10-2010
hellbilly deluxe

What Jeep do I drive?: CJ
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts

check pan-hard bracket, all ball-joints

http://www.yuccaman.com/jeep/dw.html
http://bb.bc4x4.com/showthread.php?1...J-Death-Wobble
http://web.mac.com/donpryor/jks_fron...r_install.html
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/st...wobble-786823/
http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/techart...athwobble.html
Old 30-10-2010
Full Flexer

Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts

I just fixed the same problem on my 2000 tj. The diff end of the front panhard was worn. The hole that the bolt goes through for the bush was elongated, letting the diff move from side to side. I got a new bush from wooders with a bigger sleeve and bigger bolt. Just drill out the hole to new size and BAM its fixed.
Old 31-10-2010
Lowranger Shocker

Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts

i just fixed the same problem in my 01 tj (it was that bad that at 60km u had to strafe the steeringwheel to keep in a straight line and under acceleration u had to steer about 30 degreese to keep it straight and under breakes the same) and it wasnt even drivable on the highway (i replaces every joint in my lift kit all steering arms and tierod ends and got a new alignment about $2,000)
it now drives like a charm (am thinking now i need a dropped pittman arm. (hope this helps)
Old 31-10-2010
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I had the exact same problem, i bought mine from Tweed Heads and i live on the South Coast NSW luckily it was still under warranty as it began the first day i picked it up.

We put a new Pan Hard Rod into it, balanced the tyres, switch the tyres around and nothing worked so we the warranty people just suggested putting a new steering dampener in.

This has stopped it but im pretty sure the problems still there just being hidden by the steering dampener.

Luckily it was under warranty otherwise this would have cost a fortune.

I would definately suggest trying a new Steering Dampener in it
Old 01-11-2010
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Death Wobble

Cheers People for all your sugestions and help shall indeed look at all the advice given.

Tis a shame it suffers this problem as I do love the soft top lol

Cheers
Post New Thread  Reply