Rubicon not all it is made out to be? - Page 6 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-01-2011
MudSplasher

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 38 Times in 26 Posts

The Green Superwickin would be effective at seating the "c" clips and dont require dissassembly, hence why its called wick in. Watch out and be sparing, it can wick into more places than you planned!

Just a few drops on the C clip would be a good precaution!

Matt.
Old 11-01-2011
No Winching

Liked 504 Times in 291 Posts

Thats precisely whats been discussed in prior posts.... has pro's and con's
Old 11-01-2011
No Winching

Wick in might be fine for the caps - but its a risk if it doesn't work as there's really no way of knowing if its got where it needs to be.

Also the bearing caps are F tight n the yokes ( have you tried to get one in/out? ) they are a tight interference ( press ) fit so wick in just may not be able to get to where its needed.

These are not low stress components, there are significant shock loads applied so IMO any solution needs to be ROBUST and verifiable.

Locktite is a great idea to supplemt a positive solution ( what have you got to loose... if your doing it properly ? ) but without dissassembly personally its not something I would consider fixed properly.

Another disagvantage with any welding ( apart from the obvious heat damage issues ) is the problem of overhaul - unis don't last forever and when they need replacement welding adds an extra challenge. it also makes trackside repair a pita
Old 11-01-2011
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouse View Post
Another disagvantage with any welding ( apart from the obvious heat damage issues ) is the problem of overhaul - unis don't last forever and when they need replacement welding adds an extra challenge. it also makes trackside repair a pita
Welding is not an issue in that case, you only need maybe 2 spot welds, it is all that is generally needed, this Will make trail repairs difficult, Heat will not be an issue if using a mig and only spots are applied, if the boots are melting or it getting to hot it is obvious you are doing it wrong as you have possibly welded the needle bearings to the cup...... If welding the welds need to be cleaned up or the axle will not fit through the hole in the knuckle for repairs.
Old 11-01-2011
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 809 Times in 466 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Personally, I think since the clips are currently just 'clipped' in and many owners have no problems, and the general reason for failure seems to be the clips falling out then the caps working their way out. I think even just loctiting the clips in has to be beneficial without replacement or redesign.

Perhaps even instead of the green loctite pull the clips and put red loctite into the groove then reseat the clip. The red loctite is non wicking (so removal of the clip is required to get it in properly) but is considered permanent - like a superglue for metal. I think this is the next mod for me

2010 JK, then a 2015 KL Trailhawk, now a 2017 GC Trailhawk!

Over 5000 Club
Old 11-01-2011
MudSplasher

Liked 38 Times in 26 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaComms View Post
Personally, I think since the clips are currently just 'clipped' in and many owners have no problems, and the general reason for failure seems to be the clips falling out then the caps working their way out. I think even just loctiting the clips in has to be beneficial without replacement or redesign.

Perhaps even instead of the green loctite pull the clips and put red loctite into the groove then reseat the clip. The red loctite is non wicking (so removal of the clip is required to get it in properly) but is considered permanent - like a superglue for metal. I think this is the next mod for me
Totally agree Dave, its just a sensible precaution without going overboard.

Just a point, the nut/studlock 222 etc are all anerobic as in they need to be compressed to eliminate the air before they set. The wickin does not require the tightening/clamping to go-off. It does it once it gets into a tight space.

Hence I would stick with the wickin and just a few drops and do it carefully.

Matt.
Old 12-01-2011
No Winching

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCJK View Post
Welding is not an issue in that case, you only need maybe 2 spot welds, it is all that is generally needed, this Will make trail repairs difficult, Heat will not be an issue if using a mig and only spots are applied, if the boots are melting or it getting to hot it is obvious you are doing it wrong as you have possibly welded the needle bearings to the cup...... If welding the welds need to be cleaned up or the axle will not fit through the hole in the knuckle for repairs.
I agree totally - however TIG was mentioned in a previous post and that does concern me significantly. MIG as suggested is the least worst option.

Howerer IMO welding is the "blue striped apron" solution..... likely to be done by those that can't actually fit full circle circlips ( which isnt that hard IF you know what your doing ) so the level of welding expertiese could be questionable.

Given the level of damage created by this type of failure, i just cant accept anything but DEFINATE fixes... might work just doesn't seem a great idea to me.

I'm running DBOR RCV's and i know its fixed.