What would you upgrade your old XJ to? - Page 3 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 15-01-2011
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudMonkey30 View Post
As the tile says!
If you were to sell your XJ, what would you buy in the way of family capable 4wd?
Just putting some fealers out and get some opinions!

Would you go a grand / ZJ, WJ. Or something completely different!

Don't have much cash
ZJ/WJ's can be really good off-road, but if you haven't got big bucks the XJ's are cheaper & easier to mod. XJ's Dana35 can be replaced with a Dana44 heaps cheaper than the Grands coz of rear coils.
XJ's Leaf Rear is more stable than coils but it's far stiffer round town.....What you need to ask yourself is what you are mostly using it for. If you want an Xtreme Jeep(XJ) with alot more room + cheaper to buy & mod or do you want a Tufff Jeep(TJ) with heaps less room & comfort(too short in the wheelbase/high centre of gravity & want to fall over on steep hills) + more expensive to buy(insurance is higher also) & then the Grand option is far more difficult/expensive to mod......I asked all these ????? when I finally settled on the XJ, it suited me best.....In saying that, if Jeep Aust had imported the LJ Rubicon it would have been a no brainer
Old 15-01-2011
Full Flexer

Liked 32 Times in 18 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rollins 1 View Post
Start saving.The Army is about to ditch theirs....they are embarking on a huge upgrade.
Yeah I had heard whispers about that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezelweazel View Post
Lol, I'm used to drive these Mogs on a daily basis. You don't want it.
They are fun offroad- thats it. If you don't like to deal with a diesel xj don't get a mog.
We are talking about 14l of engine oil and a fuel consumption of 22 up to 30l per 100km.
Sounds like a perfect candidate for a LPG enhancement system (D-Gas)

The OKA's have some similarities to the Unimog and purportedly better mileage to boot

Last edited by tazwegion; 15-01-2011 at 01:17 PM.
Old 15-01-2011
No Winching

Liked 71 Times in 41 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJMarsbar View Post
........... In saying that, if Jeep Aust had imported the LJ Rubicon it would have been a no brainer
Yes ... if chrysler had bothered to provide export model LJ's here ... I wouldnt have had a TJ or the XJs.

But things as they are ............ I'll just keeping patching the XJ until doomsday.
Old 17-01-2011
Full Flexer

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

if cost is an issue and speed isn't, an old landy discovery 200tdi.

mech and electrically simple, comfortable, increadibly good mileage.

get keen later you can put 60 series diffs under for ratio and strength and bolt on 35's (welding required).

i have seen nothing of interest recently from japan. so a hemi equiped grand cherry would be my rig if i had disposable cash. 3 in lift, low profile muddies and a PD supercharger....
Old 17-01-2011

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts

the TJ is fun and great offroad, but i do miss the XJ it was great offroad as well with heaps of room so now i have a WG as the family car (wont be getting many mods) and it's the V8 and i have the TJ as the toy
Old 17-01-2011
CrawlerStar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey Kyro, sold it to an old friend of yours, he's got plans, lokas and gears for it.

Quote:
Do you very much do wheel 4 driving?
Old 17-01-2011

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts

ok so i guess we will still see it around the traps then..i do miss that jeep