Gladiator Help - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > GENERAL > General Jeep Chat
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 17-02-2011
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: FSJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Gladiator Help

Well after many years of looking I am now the owner of a 1970 J2000 Gladiator. The grill is missing and it is full of rust, so much so that I am not sure if it even worth trying to repair. I'd basically be building a new cab...

Anyway, I have had the starter rebuilt to try and get it running and see what the driveline is like. Should know by tomorrow. As I correct in assuming that the engine in a 1970 Aussie J2000 would be the Buick 350? As far as I can work out it would be just a little too early to have the AMC 360.

If it runs well I might have a crack at fixing it. If not then I might look at importing an american truck and using mine to convert to RHD.

Cheers
Old 18-02-2011
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: CJ
Liked 34 Times in 17 Posts

Not sure what state you are in but if you import a LHD and its 30yrs or older you dont have to convert to RHD ..aslong as it has a passenger side mirror its right...my m38a1 is LHD and on full rego and no worries to drive around ...the year of your truck is right to have the Buick Dauntless 350 it should have badges on the front guards saying so..or holes...just google the motor and compare it to yours ...cheers mick
Old 24-02-2011
Senior Newbie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yep, it appears the motor is the Buick Dauntless although the badges and the holes are long gone. I have had it running and it sounds healthy but the carby needs a kit and it needs a water pump. Any ideas what the carby in these was. It is only a single barrel but I can't see a manufacturer or model number on it anywhere. Cheers.
Old 24-02-2011
Original Mexican Mafia

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Most likely a rochester.
Old 26-02-2011
Senior Newbie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Help with carby ID

The Rochester clue helped a lot, as far as I can tell it should have a Rochester 2GV, or at least the American trucks did, info on the Aussie ones is hard to come by. I found heaps of pics of these but it looks like mine may have been replaced at some point. I have no idea what this carb is, can anyone help?

Old 26-02-2011
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

you may need to remove it and give a good clean to find any identification marks.
check out this website it may help finding out what you have
http://www.thecarburetorshop.com/Carburetor_ID.htm
Old 26-02-2011
Senior Newbie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Mystery solved. A member on Aust 4wd action forum identified it as a Stromberg, model WW as fitted to Ford, Holden, Leyland, Chev and the list goes on. It may even be original as Stromberg were part of Bendix who did the brakes. Info on these Aussie trucks is so hard to find. At least I'll be able to get a kit easily. Now just need to find a water pump and I'll be running sweet. Thanks for the input guys.

Last edited by chewy; 26-02-2011 at 10:36 AM. Reason: spelling
Post New Thread  Reply