Roof insulaton - Page 3 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 27-02-2011
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 107 Times in 78 Posts

Looked around for ages for some of these. I live in Sydney which is certainly not the hottest part of the country but I still found that the roof was getting damn hot and the air con seemed to struggle to over come the heat (I dread to think what it must be like out in places like Mt Isa). The air con works well, blowing freezing cold air out but it never got the overall air temp down to a comfortable level where you could turn the fans speed down a little (so that it wasn't so noisy). To keep cool on hot days you had to have the air con on full all of the time. The moment you backed the fan off a bit then the car started to heat up again from the heat radiating off the roof.

At the time I was looking almost of the roof liners available were advertised as sound deadeners rather that for thermal insulation so wasn't sure how effective they would be. Nearly had a go at making some but in the end found some called insul-liners from the States. They are by no means cheap but they were advertised for their thermal insulation with figures to back it up. Had them in for a few months now and they work well. The shape of them suggests they were made for a slightly different roof design with cut outs to allow for roof handle rotation where there are no handles but other than that they fit well. Makes a big difference. I left the cart parked on a roof top car part for a couple of hours a few weeks ago when it was about 35 degrees. Without the liners in, on a day like this the car would normally have been unbearable to get back into. The sort of day where you switch the air con on, close the doors and go for a coffee while it cools down. I was amazed when I opened the door. The car was actually cool when I got back in, so much so that you could sit in it comfortably without the air con on. Now it was over lunch time so the sun was directly overhead (and therefore not coming through the windows) but all the same I was amazed. I know this is a rare case when the sun isn't at an angle so no heat was getting transferred through the windows but it shows how much they work. In general though I'm very happy with them (despite the heavy price tag) and I can now get the car to a comfortable temperature much quicker then keep it at that level with the fan only on half speed which I couldn't do before.
Old 27-02-2011
CrawlerStar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Here is a local made product that does the same thing.

http://www.thermocore.com.au/

Had this fitted at the last Jambo. Very good. Also improved the acoustics of the car heaps.
Old 27-02-2011
Senior Newbie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I made my own headliners with some panel board, the kind that door panel is made from, some vynal & high temperature velcro to stick it on.Here are a couple of pics,it was easy to do & cost less than half of what they sell for

this is the glue if it's available in AU, I am not sure
They have reduced the temperature by about 70 % & never moved since the day I put them in.The velcro is 1" wide. PM me if I can help you with it at all.

Last edited by 1Aussie; 18-05-2011 at 03:59 PM.
Old 27-02-2011
Senior Newbie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

DBOR have em
http://doubleblackoffroad.com/product.php?id=00195
Old 27-02-2011
CrawlerStar

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben. View Post
Damn - cheaper than getting them direct from the manufacturer
Old 27-02-2011
MudSplasher

What Jeep do I drive?: CJ
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

We have 2 and 4 door insulation kits at "The Garage"!
Old 17-02-2013
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Hothead Headliners Sale

Hi Everyone,
there are only a few days left of this sale. If you interested just CLICK HERE to go to our web site or just give us a call.

thanks for all the support,

Mark
714-872-2071
Post New Thread  Reply