New Jeep Owner -2011 WK2 - Page 20 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 27-03-2011
Jeep Test Driver

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfc View Post
Hi All,

Just put an order in on the new 2011 Grand Cherokee (WK2 as they call it in the US)

Limited V6

Options:

Quadra-Lift
Mopar Skid Plates
Mopar Side Steps

I am an ex 80s landcrusier owner and look forward to taking this offroad as well as enjoying the drive around the city, which was always a chore in the 80..

I was disapointed the quad drive 2 was only on the v8 model as I wanted that option, so will have to see how it affects it offroad and see what options they are.

I have the stock 20" rims but will be getting some 17" or 18" to equip for the offroad adventure.

any advice assistance would be great Should pick it up in 2 weeks.

kFc
Going from his first post, I'm guessing not an overland. Would be very jealous if somebody already had one
Old 27-03-2011
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballypinball View Post
is this a pic of an overland?
Its a limited v6 with QL
Old 27-03-2011
Senior Newbie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Its a limited v6 with QL
Which brings me to... Other than the adaptive cruise control sensor (and the badge), is an Overland going to look any different externally to a Limited Hemi?
Old 24-01-2012
Full Flexer

Liked 79 Times in 57 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Hi All,

Just put an order in on the new 2011 Grand Cherokee (WK2 as they call it in the US)

any advice assistance would be great Should pick it up in 2 weeks.

kFc
Hello kfc...Me, I own a 07 Commander and getting up there in Ks so have been looking at the New Grand but things like this concern me.. I really use my Jeeps (3 so far) offroad:

Exract From: Talking Jeep Oz

"Jeep Grand Cherokee 2012 Recovery Hook Announcement

Numerous complaints from purchasers of the 2012 Grand Cherokee regarding the deletion of front recovery hooks has led Chrysler Jeep Australia to officially advise dealers that the screw in Tow Hooks supplied with 2012 models are not suitable for four wheel drive recovery and are only rated for very light towing duties.
In an official dealer bulletin distributed today they also stated that the 2011 recovery hooks can not be fitted to the 2012 model as the front of the vehicle has been modified and there is no mounting bar for the factory hooks to bolt to.
The reason given for the deletion of the 2011 recovery hooks was to comply with ANCAP pedestrian safety requirements and European regulations for pedestrian impact. Also prospective future Australian legislation that could bring Euro regulations to Australia.
Seeing that the Jeep Grand Cherokee has not been ANCAP tested in Australia (only Euro-NCAP and US ) this seems like a feeble excuse. It looks more like Jeep Australia are being dictated to by Jeep in the US that they must take European specification vehicles instead of the 2011 specification that Australian buyers were expecting at the time of purchase. It appears that Jeep only want to build one version for export at the cost of customer expectations. This is the very first real 4WD Jeep to be sold in Australia without being fitted with suitable hooks for 4WD recovery.
We have been told that Jeep Australia are evaluating retro fitting of suitable recovery hooks and also a new designed Nudge Bar that will incorporate recovery hooks.
In the meantime owners wishing to use their 2012 Grand Cherokee in 4WD terrain can only safely drive on 2WD roads. Venture onto 4WD trails and get stuck in some mud and your Jeep can not be recovered without major damage to the vehicle. Under no circumstances should owners use the screw in tow eye hook for any recovery as it is not rated for recovery."

Also:

Just talked to a bloke who has a brand new Grand Overland (changed from Commander to Rangie back to Jeep) and was admiring his very spic alloy wheels (aftermarket)...Appears fitting extra spots/driving lights to the new Grand is a no go (except the Laredo???) they have one HID light that does both hi & lo beam: voltage is varied according to what is selected - hi or lo - and monitored by the ECU so no individual hi-beam wire to connect the spot relay to & the ECU errors if you try any tricks. Eventually some electronics genius will find a way I guess.

And:

Appears you can't fit a bullbar on the Overland because of the Adaptive Cruise Control "thing" is in the centre of the bar...Don't be tempted to use for snatching and winching the screw-in tie-down Jeep are supplying with the MY12

And:

Jeep are still giving the same reason for removal of the MY11 recovery hooks on the MY12 is because they are getting ready for the possibility of Australia adopting the EU pedestrian impact design rules..Talk about spin.

Last edited by Wanderer; 24-01-2012 at 09:41 AM.
Old 24-01-2012
Full Flexer

Liked 79 Times in 57 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Appears fitting extra spots/driving lights to the new Grand is a no go (except the Laredo???) they have one HID light that does both hi & lo beam: voltage is varied according to what is selected - hi or lo - and monitored by the ECU so no individual hi-beam wire to connect the spot relay to & the ECU errors if you try any tricks. Eventually some electronics genius will find a way I guess.

And:

Appears you can't fit a bullbar on the Overland because of the Adaptive Cruise Control "thing" is in the centre of the bar...Don't be tempted to use for snatching and winching the screw-in tie-down Jeep are supplying with the MY12
As this is hearsay but from normally reliable sources, best to do your own homework rather than get caught out..No recovery point on front is a worry and the ECB bar and Mopar nudge for the MY11 Grand won't fit the MY12 as is....Believe ECB (must be cursing) are working on the problem (am told should have an answer by mid year) but Jeep decision a cause for concern.

Don't be tempted to use the screw in tow eye hook, that Jeep supply with the MY12, for snatching or winching..Could be fatal if you do...It's only for hauling onto tow truck & tie down...

The screw-in tow eye mounting hardware..Not good:

More on "Jeep Grand Cherokee 2012 - Is It Trail Ready?"

Last edited by Wanderer; 24-01-2012 at 01:56 PM.
Old 24-01-2012
MudSplasher

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 158 Times in 79 Posts

Shame... Just disappointing for such a nice rig.

YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/Hemi4WD
Facebook: http://goo.gl/85r51x
Old 24-01-2012

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

What colour WK have you bought/ordered and why. I'm between the White, Silver or Mineral Grey in order of preference for different reasons. I think the white is sporty, the silver is safe and easy to keep clean and the mineral is the most prestigeous.
Post New Thread  Reply