CRD Manual Issues... who's had them? - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 29-09-2011
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default CRD Manual Issues... who's had them?

Not sure if this has been done before, but the more i read about the CRD manual gearbox problems the more i wonder. Obviously yes there is a problem, specs show they are not strong enough for the power output of the VM motor. But i read a lot of... "i hear" " they are supposed to be..."

I wanna see who's had issues - What model/year JEEP, what issue, at what stage of the cars life & rough cost or warranty??
Also who hasnt had issues & how many km's there CRD's have done without issue.

Manuals are fun & if you've always driven one, the constant encourangement on here of new buyers being pushed towards an auto is kinda dampening. I've come from only 2-3 4wd's & always been on forums suitable & gearbox/clutch problems exist in all vehicles, most are expensive so i'm wondering if this problem is a little over rated when it comes to "rumour vs actually happening"
From reading also, people that have the issue, quite often its not just a one off, so could well be the particular car is proned to issues or could also be our driving styles...

Does anyone have figures from Jeep? I cant imagine they would release them but would be nice know on a scale, say if 3 out of 10 Manual CRD's have had issues???? Or maybe its an absolute balls up & 8 out of 10 have issues????

Post away

Anvil Rubi :) 35" Evan Walkers, LOD bar, Warn Powerplant & lots to come
Old 29-09-2011
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 75 Times in 40 Posts

Tonka,

Mine is a CRD manual, done just over 70,000kms now, without any evidence of it playing up. No probs whatsoever. I am hoping it will stay that way, as I drive it gently onroad, and if it needs to have a "hurry up" offroad, it gets that too. No idea about repair costs from Jeep, other than what has been posted on here.

Mine was built on a Tuesday though!!!
Old 29-09-2011
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yep I’ve experienced the failing clutch pressure plate problem with my 6mth old 2010 Unlimited manual CRD. Had to spend the $5.5k to replace clutch, pressure plate and dual mass flywheel after travelling an easy 22,000 km. I mean a very easy 22,000 km life. I live 100km from anywhere and that’s why the large amount of km in a short period. Most use was simply up the gear change to 6th, cruse the 100km then down again and don’t tell me it was my driving style either. I’ve been behind a manual gearbox for over 35 years and owned over 15 different manual vehicles in that time and never had any issues. There something very wrong here but Jeep don’t seem to care at all!! The drive line just isn’t up to the torque of the VM motor. Thus the clutch is an engineered fuse. Personally I recon the ratios are all wrong and have just purchased new diff crown and pinion to sort it out.
Old 29-09-2011
Senior Newbie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

07 CRD manual 60.000 just did a 'thrust bearing' still meat on the clutch. Most likely failed due to contaminants, mud/water. Like TheoB I drive like a granny on road and save it for when i need it off road. No issues with gearbox do a fair bit of towing with the camper as well.

Ian.
Old 29-09-2011
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Clutch

It is more the clutch than the gearbox. I am not saying the gearboxes are good or bad. And the main issues are with JK's that tow or drive hard. And yes, they are $5500 from Jeep. or you can get a customer Solid flywheel and heavy duty clutch made for about $2500. The issue is with the diff ratio, and also the 1st gear ratio. Both to high.
If you buy a 2012, they now ship with 3.73 gears, and not 3.21?
I am a manual guy through and through, but if i were to buy a JK again, i would buy the auto.
Old 29-09-2011
CrawlerStar

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

With 17,000km my 09 has a nasty shudder when taking off on a hill. The dealer has checked it twice (since 11,000km) but cant find the problem. They may just replace the gearbox now.
If I bought the 2 door manual would have been fine but I should have got the auto in my 4 door.

77 Grand Wagoneer
91 YJ
94 ZJ
96 TJ
09 JKU
14 WK2 Best one yet!
www.SurfFX.com.au
Old 29-09-2011
RubiconSlammer

Liked 36 Times in 22 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Mine is a 2008 Man CRD with 60 000 km, no clutch issues and no gearbox issues. Driven reasonably with a power module fitted. She's getting a set of 4.1s for Christmas though.

The last Jeep Action had the figure of JKs sold (no breakdown of models or configuration) at just under 10 000. So the smattering you get on here doesn't to my mind represent that the general populace has a significant issue with the manual CRD driveline. Remember people who come onto a site like this are from 1 of 2 camps. Enthusiast or seeking the answer to a problem. As a result you will see model specific failures over represented here.