September 2011 Edition - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > PORTAL > Jeep Action Magazine
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-09-2011
Head Honcho

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 1,177 Times in 710 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)
Default September 2011 Edition

September 2011 Issue out this week.

JAA Magazine
Click on Mag to visit
Jeep Action HQ

The September issue is available at newsagents now.
Camp Coffs 2011 (Part 2)
• Aussies at US Jeep Jamboree
• V8 Army Jeep
• Willys Pickup
• Jeep History Down Under

Dr Jeep checks out...
• Living with a JK
• CJ7 Wiring
• XJ Coughing?
• TJ seized

Historic Jeep ads
Club List, Classifieds, Your Say....

September edition Editorial
Online edition is now available: You can renew your online edition subscriptions here >> OR login with your account name and password.

This month we have part two of Jeep History Down Under. Although my first Jeep was a 1974 CJ5, the majority of my Jeeps were from the Jeep Australia era which we cover in part two. My Jeeps from that era included a new CJ7 Hawk, CJ8 Overlander and lots of other second hand models.

Everytime we visited Brisbane we would drive to the Jeep Australia assembly plant and check out what was there, hoping to spot a new Cherokee or CJ.

Seeing another Jeep on the road back then was rare and you always got a Jeep wave back. Owning a four wheel drive with an automatic transmission, especially in a CJ was frowned on by many, how times have changed.

Also this issue we wrap up our coverage of the Moparized Jeeps displayed at this years Moab Easter Jeep Safari. These tricked up Jeeps have become a popular attraction at the event. As we have seen from our coverage these Jeeps aren't just on display, but are out there being used for all to see. And now Mopar have released a kit to turn the JK Wangler Unlimited into a pick up. I think it would be hard to find another brand this committed to showing off what can be done to customize their vehicles.

Enjoy,
Michael Bowen

www.ausjeepoffroad.com
Old 16-09-2011
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: CJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Did anyone go to the auction at Louth mentioned in this addition?
If your answer is yes, did any of the jeeps on auction come from Dunlop?

I worked out there for around 6 months in 88 or 89. There is a jeep with original canvas cover, shovel and jerry cans still on it with a total of 16,000 miles on the clock.
Dunlop had 3 jeeps one blown up, one still being used in the wet on the black clay with snow chains on the front only, and the very original one mentioned previously.

Brought back heaps of memories seeing the pics and a few familiar faces in the crowd.

Buell.

Last edited by buell; 16-09-2011 at 02:28 PM.
Old 22-09-2011
CrawlerStar

Liked 12 Times in 6 Posts

The auction was at Dunlop Station which has been sold. The good army Jeep was purchased by Marathon Spares sometime ago

Thanks
Michael
Old 23-09-2011
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: CJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So that means the Combi ute with oval window, the straight 8 Buick, the Ford 4X4 ute are all gone too.
Shame that Bernie has finished with the place.
Maybe now the 64 stand sheering shed will open to public inspection.

Buell

Last edited by buell; 23-09-2011 at 03:22 PM.
Old 28-09-2011
CrawlerStar

Liked 12 Times in 6 Posts

Unfortunately Bernie passed away. The Falcon 4x4 made $24,500 at the auction.

Thanks
Michael
Old 25-10-2011
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chief View Post
Unfortunately Bernie passed away. The Falcon 4x4 made $24,500 at the auction.

Thanks
Michael
What condition was the ute in?

My boss has an original XY 4WD ute in mint condition that's been sitting in a shed since he got it 10 or so years ago as he's too busy with other projects to work on it (needs to do the head to get it running again); apparantly it's the factory conversion Ford did using Toyota drivetrain gear as far as I know. Always wondered what it would be worth as I've heard that good ones are as rare as hens teeth these days.
Post New Thread  Reply