JK Wrangler Tips On Canning Stock Route - Page 7 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 16-12-2011
SwampDigger

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 34 Times in 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by humdingerslammer View Post
Davidd and RedGP:

You poor, poor boys. I am forever thankful that I have not run into either of you. In fact, the attitudes displayed by both of you are the very reason I steer away from people when I am travelling. I learned a long while ago to avoid fellow travellers mainly because I was well and truly sick of listening to pissing competitions at every stop, of the sort that you 2 seem to want to conduct.

Actually, I don't consider myself an expert on bush travel and not once have I claimed to be. I am always careful and never in a hurry. I am quite happy to share my experiences and what has worked for me in my travels, particularly if it helps others to travel safely and to achieve their dreams.

Such a pair of unhappy cynics. Remember, sugar and spice always attracts more friends than vinegar and bile.
Dont want to hear the truth or something HDS?
If I was researching whether to buy a JK for these types of trips I'd be happy to read real world experiences.
Hardly pissing comps......Maybe the rest of the travelling population are glad you keep to yourself.
Old 16-12-2011
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by humdingerslammer View Post
Davidd and RedGP:

You poor, poor boys. I am forever thankful that I have not run into either of you. In fact, the attitudes displayed by both of you are the very reason I steer away from people when I am travelling. I learned a long while ago to avoid fellow travellers mainly because I was well and truly sick of listening to pissing competitions at every stop, of the sort that you 2 seem to want to conduct.

Actually, I don't consider myself an expert on bush travel and not once have I claimed to be. I am always careful and never in a hurry. I am quite happy to share my experiences and what has worked for me in my travels, particularly if it helps others to travel safely and to achieve their dreams.

Such a pair of unhappy cynics. Remember, sugar and spice always attracts more friends than vinegar and bile.
I like vinegar!

Whatever the wallet has, the jeep takes!
Old 16-12-2011
SwampDigger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
Same here!!

I have found people seem to love their Jks with a passion or hate them, there does not seem to be a middle ground.

I have a mate that spent nearly $100k on a 200 series and it uses 2 to 3 litres of oil between changes, he had it rebuilt under warranty and it know uses more oil than pre rebuild. the engine has to be pulled to get to the starter motor and because the turbos are low in the engine bay he has cracked the housing when driving in water.

REDGP - Quote "Chrysler Jeep in their wisdom have used a fuel gauge sender combo in tank diesel pump unit"
I have a parts listing for the JK and it shows the injector fuel pump on the motor having a gear driven pump on the back of it that sucks the fuel from the tank then into the main injector pump. The fuel tank only shows a sender unit.

I am interested to find out if there is a pump in the diesel tank. Can someone who maybe works at a Jeep dealership let me know.
yeah, some of these parts lists are a bit sus, specially the online ones from the u.s. they have a different model to us. i think the kj cherokee had only an injector pump or a primary pump up near the engine. fuel had to be sucked up from the tank to the engine. was the cause of a few problems when when air got in the line from the tank to the pump.
Old 16-12-2011
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: ZJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

He he! There are some things you guys could proabably learn about diplomacy and common courtesy ya know!
Geez, so many angry thoughts and comments guys, maybe a bit of restraint could be exercised here?

For my two cents, i heard what redgp was saying, a brilliantly CAPABLE 4wd, but not the best TOURING choice. Lets face it, JK's have a terribly small GVM, and there nowhere near the same design intent as a landcruiser. A landcruiser is a big wagon, ideal for touring becasue of its size and commonality all over Aus. The JK is a brilliant track warrior, and great at getting places, but long distance, heavy load, and sustained abuse, i dont think its quite in the same class. Not caused by build quality, but i think more to do with design intent. American vehicles dont generally have the whole Aussie outback as part of there design intent. There more of a weekend away type vehicle.
Personally, i would LOVE a JK. i just cant afford one, so i will have to stick with my trusty old ZJ Grand which has been all over, and never let me down. "Cheap plastic chair" feel and all.

Old 16-12-2011
SwampDigger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
Same here!!

I have found people seem to love their Jks with a passion or hate them, there does not seem to be a middle ground.

I have a mate that spent nearly $100k on a 200 series and it uses 2 to 3 litres of oil between changes, he had it rebuilt under warranty and it know uses more oil than pre rebuild. the engine has to be pulled to get to the starter motor and because the turbos are low in the engine bay he has cracked the housing when driving in water.

REDGP - Quote "Chrysler Jeep in their wisdom have used a fuel gauge sender combo in tank diesel pump unit"
I have a parts listing for the JK and it shows the injector fuel pump on the motor having a gear driven pump on the back of it that sucks the fuel from the tank then into the main injector pump. The fuel tank only shows a sender unit.

I am interested to find out if there is a pump in the diesel tank. Can someone who maybe works at a Jeep dealership let me know.
yeah, thisi s bit off topic but still. apparently the v8 is renowned for heavy oil consumtion, 2-3 litres of oil in 10k is about normal in a brand new engine. i don't know what grade they use probably exttremely light. have known of a few blokes who bought second hand 6 cylinder cruisers to avoid the v8 as they were wondering how much oil they would drink after a 100k on the clock. and they were initially in the new car market. i'm afraid your mate's engine rebuild was pretty much for nothing. and the old 6 is not available any more. the 70 series runs the v8 as well. maybe that's another reaon the prado is absolutely blitzing the market.
Old 16-12-2011
SwampDigger

Liked 540 Times in 399 Posts

Geeze, I like to know how others have gone, what has caused issues etc, but the last few days, it's like several copies of my wife have been posting! Any opinion that doesn't match hers or an observation of what someone else has experienced becomes seen as a personal attack!

Settle down all of you or you might get sent to the naughty corner!

Is that the one between SA, Vic & NSW?
Old 16-12-2011
CrawlerStar

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I have done a bit of outback touring in a Suzuki LJ50 (not recommended ), Tojo FJ55 and Ford Maverick and a little in my JKU. Once it's properly set up, I'd happily take my JKU anywhere in this great country, the Canning Stock Route included.

It's interesting how people have a bad experience, for whatever reason, or hear about someone's bad experience, then assume that everyone else will inevitably suffer the same problem. Yes, make sure you understand the risks and have appropriate risk management measures but don't be put off by someone else's insecurity.

Mind you, I wouldn't go off the bitumen if I was driving a Nissan Navarra