Replacement wheels - Page 5 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > ZJ WJ WG Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 24-12-2011
No Winching

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 301 Times in 244 Posts

Digsy I would imagine the 9" rim would mean you have a bit more sticking out but also bear in mind that if you do go 9" then a smaller tyre cannot be fitted of you choose to downsize a little later. You'd be hard pressed to find a tyre shop that would it. That's why I stuck with an 8.5 just in case I want the choice
Old 24-12-2011
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yeah unfortunately I can only find the rims that I am chasing in a 17x9.... I would normally run an 8 and be happy - but I can't seem to find what I want... I'll ask before I buy but.

Next question to add to the list - what is the smallest size tyre - 245/265/285? that will fit on a 9 inch wide rim?

I'm pretty happy to try to fit a 285 on - but is this wide enough for a 9" rim?
Old 28-12-2011
asp_777
Visitor

In nsw yr largest legal is 1" wider thus on a grand would be 8.5"
Ive just bought dynamic steel 17x8 with 40mm bspace. Just perfect I doubt yd need wider than that though not fitted on yet
Most tyre web sites will recommend width of tyre for each wheel
Old 28-12-2011
Full Flexer

Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts

Hi all,

I am running stock JK Alloy rims with the standard 245/75/R17 silent amour tyres.

I am getting a little bit of rubbing against my IRO longarms on the inside of the tyre on full lock.

So I need a rim/tyre combination that is a bit further away from the longarms, but will not exceed the total track allowance (+50mm). Also I think my limit is about 800mm in rolling diameter to keep things legal...(Is it a +30 increase from the biggest stock tyre ??).

Any good combinations that people know of...

I think my current wheel stats are:

Rubicon Wheels
Machined Cast Aluminum 17x7.5
Backspacing on all factory wheels 6.25" (158.75mm)
Offset of factory wheels (mm) 44.45
Weight of stock BFG KM tires 48 lbs
Weight of Rubicon wheel 24 lbs

Would the Dynamic Steel Rims asp777 purchased (17x8 +30mm 144.3mm back space) give any extra space on the inside at full lock? I am fearing the lower backspace and slightly wider wheel may cause more issues with this rim?)

Cheers
Chumby

Last edited by Chumby; 09-01-2012 at 06:07 AM.
Old 28-12-2011
No Winching

Liked 301 Times in 244 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by digsy View Post
Yeah unfortunately I can only find the rims that I am chasing in a 17x9.... I would normally run an 8 and be happy - but I can't seem to find what I want... I'll ask before I buy but.

Next question to add to the list - what is the smallest size tyre - 245/265/285? that will fit on a 9 inch wide rim?

I'm pretty happy to try to fit a 285 on - but is this wide enough for a 9" rim?
A 265 is minimum for a 9" rim. 285 is quite fine but if you ever want to go back to 245 they are too small.
Old 29-12-2011
asp_777
Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chumby View Post
Hi all,

I am running stock JK Alloy rims with the standard 245/75/R15 silent amour tyres.

I am getting a little bit of rubbing against my IRO longarms on the inside of the tyre on full lock.

So I need a rim/tyre combination that is a bit further away from the longarms, but will not exceed the total track allowance (+50mm). Also I think my limit is about 800mm in rolling diameter to keep things legal...(Is it a +30 increase from the biggest stock tyre ??).

Any good combinations that people know of...

I think my current wheel stats are:

Rubicon Wheels
Machined Cast Aluminum 17x7.5
Backspacing on all factory wheels 6.25" (158.75mm)
Offset of factory wheels (mm) 44.45
Weight of stock BFG KM tires 48 lbs
Weight of Rubicon wheel 24 lbs

Would the Dynamic Steel Rims asp777 purchased (17x8 +30mm 144.3mm back space) give any extra space on the inside at full lock? I am fearing the lower backspace and slightly wider wheel may cause more issues with this rim?)

Cheers
Chumby
Im sure the Dynamic ones would work really well - minimising any rub on inside as they only stick out 1.2' further out than standard (245) with 265 Tyres yet .4" further away from inside. 285 gives 1.6" further out, same as standard 245 on the inside.
Im sure using 285 would make tyres very very very close in line with fender. Check your today.....
try www.rimsntires.com and go to there comparison on left of main page. you can work out exactly the difference based on your choice of set up. try it
Old 30-12-2011
Full Flexer

Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts

Hi ASP777,

Looks like the ideal tire is 265/70/r17 then. Do you know if this size is legal, from the largest stock tire available on the original grands?

Do you have any pics on how yours look on your Jeep? Which tires are you running? The Coopers St-Maxx 265/70/r17 look a pretty good all rounder.

Will check that site...

Cheers
Chumby

Last edited by Chumby; 30-12-2011 at 07:22 AM.
Post New Thread  Reply