2011+ CRD EGR removal - Page 9 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 31-05-2012
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 97 Times in 53 Posts

Interesting, I'm interested, anything that is base coded can be reverse engineered , anyone with output capability? Security is an illusion of layers, my speciality is seeing through the illusion.

I'm certain that a number of individuals may possibly be interested in the problem proposition.

Cheers
Martin
Old 01-06-2012
Senior Newbie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by walldog View Post
Interesting, I'm interested, anything that is base coded can be reverse engineered , anyone with output capability? Security is an illusion of layers, my speciality is seeing through the illusion.

I'm certain that a number of individuals may possibly be interested in the problem proposition.

Cheers
Martin
The contents of the ECU are hashed and encrypted.

The only way to get around it for now it seems is to flash a custom bootloader. For that, you need to program it directly via the service pads on the PCB.
Old 02-06-2012
Senior Newbie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auberon View Post
Have held off commenting but the EGR was historically a "To be seen" response initially to the California Clean Air Act....done with little thought to consequence and more applicable to petrol vehicles. This is born out by history.
The (passenger cars) are designed with the fuel charge to run rich (falsely) -even though they (diesels) always run lean (unless porogrammed to run deliberatelt rich) - cools combustion reducing NOx.
Of course I am avoiding discussing the dreaded Black Smoke Point: and as it is almost impossible to get a passenger vehicle to run lie a truck or tractor (but the are not subject to the weight restrictions of the Act I mention herein) They (designers) alter timing to cool combustion to reduce the possibility of efficient combustion despite turbo motors running on a constant lean-out.

The EGR is a tack-on only.....and is intended to displace clean air in the combustion charge so a motor will not run as EFFICIENTLY and consequently as ECONOMICALLY at these cooler combustion temperatures and they burn more fuel (by design) thus combustion temps are lower and less efficient.

NOTE: The rimary consequence of the above steps of falsely enriching the fuel charge and retarding timing both MAY contribute to less NOx BUT DO make for more SOOT as combustion temperature is quite a bit cooler and LESS efficient.

Before someone says about the turbo-aftercooler relationship with torque and power this is just to CHEAPLY get more grunt from an itty bitty engine that would otherwise be 4 or so litres and much much dearer to produce and heavier.

EGR is a tacky way of being seen to act - in a very short time. Things run better with other manufacturers as the US chaps neede to comply to keep getting USD grants to stay in production....it was political and related to pollution control in a knee-jerk response. The rest of the World had much more time to respond that the guys in the US.

One reputable US oil manufactruer (plus other sources) recognise that:
Soot starts of as round particles
Soot aggregates to form irregular and abrasive particulates
Soot adversely affects oil properties like surface tension, solvent performance; lubrication; ability to keep aggregated soot in suspension and to be caried to the filter; affects its lubricating abilities and the efficeincy of solvents in place to keep it suspended (plus other properties as noted all inter-linked) and is suspected of shortening enginer/comnponent life as these modern engiones are made to tighter tolerancing than preciously.

Reducing Nox gas - good thing.
Making more hostile particulates - a bad thing.

A look at when it allows the valve to open is really scary (as a rule).....but my post id long enough.
Please elaborate, your post is very interesting.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
Old 02-06-2012
No Winching

Liked 504 Times in 291 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by p13 View Post
The contents of the ECU are hashed and encrypted.

The only way to get around it for now it seems is to flash a custom bootloader. For that, you need to program it directly via the service pads on the PCB.
And the dealers reflash things how? I dont think they start at the PCB level.

Whilst dealer level service allows reflashes their will be people knowledgeable enough in the aftermarket to crack it.

The are some clever people out there.....
Old 02-06-2012
Senior Newbie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouse View Post
And the dealers reflash things how? I dont think they start at the PCB level.

Whilst dealer level service allows reflashes their will be people knowledgeable enough in the aftermarket to crack it.

The are some clever people out there.....
Their flash tool has the private key needed to authenticate with the ecu and encrypt the contents for flashing.
If someone could get access to a dealer flash tool that would be cool. One can easily sniff out the obd/can signals with a logic analyzer or build one yourself with an arduino or something.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
Old 03-06-2012
DetroitDemon

Liked 85 Times in 54 Posts

I understand it took APR almost a year to crack the same new encryption in a number of 2011 model VW group vehicles which they sell performance tunes for.

I've heard similar things about a number of other other vehicles released in 2011 too. GDE probably can't quite justify the outlay to crack the encryption at this stage in the model's life.
Post New Thread  Reply