pooh - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 19-07-2012
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Smile pooh

Hi everyone,rec'd my first 4wd, jgc laredo crd last week.I'm a bit old in the tooth for serious 4wd but will use it for towing my caravan and novice offroading.If anyone can help with suggestions re locating brake controller I would be forever grateful.Talked to an auto electrician and he's suggesting among other things putting a controller behind dashboard and drilling 2 holes for light and manual control switch.I don't like the idea of drilling holes in my new jeep and am hoping there may be other ways.Hope you all can help.
Thanks. jgc laredo my12 rec'd 07/07/12
Old 19-07-2012
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WG
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

welcome aboard with yoru new jeep!
i'm sure you will find the answers your after!
there is a Camper trailer section here..
http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/...play.php?f=205

that you may be able to also find more specific answers and assistance with when wanting to know about towing and maybe kitting your JGC when it comes to towing

might be worth checking into as you may be able to find some other great ideas also..

Si!!!
Old 20-07-2012
CrawlerStar

Liked 144 Times in 90 Posts

Check here http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/...ake+controller

and here http://www.jeepgarage.org/showthread.php?t=38575

there is lots of information around if you check topics and search.

I fitted our Tekonsha P3 in the cubby in front of the console. There is a hole drilled in the back of the cubby for the wires to come through but they will never be seen.
Whoever fits the controller make sure the brake switch feed comes from the trailer plug stop light wiring installed to the tow bar plug, to avoid conflict with the Jeep wiring.
Good luck
Old 20-07-2012
No Winching

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 301 Times in 244 Posts

Although my vehicle is a WG not WK I addressed the same issue as I hate putting any holes in factory trim panels. I made a new slightly bigger bracket for the P3 brake controller to mount to and simply stuck it to the fascia panel above my left knee with strong quality double sided tape. It will hang there almost forever but if you do need to get it off some careful prizing will do the trick.

There are some good adhesives out these days if you stick to quality brands like 3M. In a previous 4WD I mounted my UHF in the same type of spot with heavy duty velcro and it never fell off and that rig did some pretty heavy duty rough 4wding.

I like those new controllers with the little switch but ideal for vehicles that have blank switch spots in the dash like Cruisers and Patrols etc. Don't know about the WK but the WG has no switch blanks whatsoever. At least with holing a switch blank by the time you go to sell the vehicle they have usually been on the market long enough that you can get a new blank cheap from the wreckers.

Last edited by fester; 20-07-2012 at 09:06 PM.
Post New Thread  Reply