Beginner Lift Advice anyone? - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-08-2012
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Beginner Lift Advice anyone?

Bought my first 2011 Wrangler JK last year and I think its time to spend a bit of money on it.
Im looking for a basic 2.5” lift but I’ve come across so many types it’s confusing. What would be the best option for the occasional off road driver? Do I need shocks? I see a lot of people talking about an adjustable track bar, is this something I may need?

Thanks
Old 07-08-2012
Lowranger Shocker

Liked 107 Times in 78 Posts

First up I'd say you need to know what you're aiming for with the lift. The height is only the first thing but what sort of ride you want is probably more important. Are you happy with the ride as it is or would you prefer to have it softer or firmer etc? I thought the stock ride was too harsh (which I think was more due to the shocks than anything else) so if you think the same then yes, you certainly need new shocks.

At 2.5" you'll also need more than just springs and shocks. If you stay under 2" then you may be OK with just springs and shocks but above that most people recommend you look at some form of caster correction (control arms, drop brackets,...) and track bar adjustment (either new track bars or just brackets) to re-centre the axles under the car. If you lift a JK on the cheap then I'd say you can expect to have issues with it.......and it'll drive like crap. I have a 2.5" lift in mine and I'll admit it cost me a bit more than I first wanted to pay but I now have a car that is far more comfortable than it ever was, handles better, carries a load better and is 10 times more capable off road.

Probably the best place to start is to speak with any of the guys who supply dedicated JK parts (DBOR, SBR Offroad, Suspension Stuff, Wooders,......). They all know JK's so it's better to speak to them rather than asking your standard 4WD accessories place. Speak to them, explain what you want to and they will help you understand what you need to achieve that.
Old 07-08-2012
Full Flexer

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

It's all dependant on the wheeling you plan on doing, if it's extreme stuff then be prepared to spend a shite load of cash on suspension componants alone. But if your going to be doing really basic wheeling and dont have any intentions on doing extreme stuff and if it's just height your after, why not look at a budget boost (BB) kit? Teraflex have a levelling kit (1.5") and a BB kit (2.5"). DBOR have some really good beginer kit's as well, a BB kit (1.75") and off road rookie kit (2"-3"). These kits range from $180 - $635, so all pretty affordable

There is an abundance of information out there and it can become really overwhelming as a novice to the off-road world, I guess that is the beauty off forums and passionate 4x4 stores.

What area are you from?
Old 07-08-2012
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks Paul, Im definitely aiming for a softer drive as it is pretty harsh.

Im from Keilor, is there any good shops nearby that sell these brands? or is buying of the net the way to go?
Old 07-08-2012
Lowranger Shocker

Liked 107 Times in 78 Posts

DBOR are in Melbourne so they're probably the easiest for you to speak to directly. If you look on their website first you'll see they have range of kits available but I'm sure they'd be happy to incorporate other bits and pieces as well if you prefer another brand. They also know JK's well and can fit everything for you. It's a one stop shop for all things JK.

That said, I ended up getting bits from all over rather than just one place. I used Suspension Stuff springs and Rancho adjustable shocks. A combination of the progressive springs and adjustable shocks seem to work well and you can tailor the ride to suit the conditions. Some don't like the adjustable shocks but they work well for me. I then got adjustable front track bar, rear track bar bracket, longer sway bar links (and disconnects for the front which are great off road!) and adjustable lower control arms to bring the caster back to where it should be. Depending on what you're wanting to do you may or may not need all of that but if you have a word with the guys then they'll point you in the right direction.

Speak to DBOR and then if you have any other questions or want a second opinion on anything then just post up on here (or have a search through some of the post that are already up). There's a wealth of knowledge on here and people are always happy to help.
Old 07-08-2012
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I just gave them a call, ill be heading down there one day this week to have a chat. Thanks for the info
Post New Thread  Reply