Viscous fan test - Page 3 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 16-10-2012
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 48 Times in 37 Posts

Really, at running temp there should be a good flow of hot / warm air
They don't lock up solid.
When you start cold they spin up and if you hold the rpm at a steady 2000 the fan will drop back and you will hear and feel the drop back, as the temp increases the fan hub will detect the temp and should firm up as it heats up.
If you have a good flow of air that all you need. check that a towel will be pulled in to the grill at hot idle.
Old 17-10-2012
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: ZJ
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Thanks for replies, tried the towel test, and seemed o'k', towel got pulled in slightly at hot idle and really pulled in at 2000rpm !, one thing though, i thought the fan supossed to lock up when hot?, when i turned of engine i could move it easily by hand, not free spin , but nowhere near locked up, i suppose that leaves radiator even though the radiator shop said its been replaced by a brass one some time ago !,cheers.
Old 17-10-2012
Full Flexer

Liked 48 Times in 37 Posts

If the fan locked up the noise would be similar to a jet taking off and at 2000 rpm your forward speed is more that the fan could pull in so it's really only for idle, parked and tail winds. slow speed. Then the thermo will kick in.
Old 17-10-2012
No Winching

Liked 71 Times in 41 Posts

As kyphonii said ... they dont lock up solid.

Usually when the clutch is "locked up" ... its spinning at about 60-70 percent of engine revs.

For the clutch action to be "locked up" in its various stages ... the little coil spring on the front needs to be sensing an air temp of about, an average 70*c.

The spin test is only indicative ... the towel test is slightly better ... and theres a drawnout process in the factory manual using temp probes and timing lights and stuff ... to get a better indication of the clutch servicability.

FWIW ... if you are unsure of its age or quality ... throw it away and fit a new one that you will feel confident with.

Prices vary dramatically depending on the seller ... but Ive found the one Wooders stocks to be a good allrounder.

As for the radiator ... It may have been replaced "recently" ... but that doesnt mean that there isnt a bunch of junk clogging the lower section.

Whats your actual problem ... high running temp ??? ... overheating ???
Old 17-10-2012
Established Member

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

I just had another look,from what i can see the radiator fins look o'k',but, the a/c condenser in front that covers a lot of the radiator seems to have heaps of bugs and dirt in it, might give it a blast with the pressure washer, hope i dont do any damage !,cheers.
Old 17-10-2012
Established Member

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by carvesdodo View Post
As kyphonii said ... they dont lock up solid.

Usually when the clutch is "locked up" ... its spinning at about 60-70 percent of engine revs.

For the clutch action to be "locked up" in its various stages ... the little coil spring on the front needs to be sensing an air temp of about, an average 70*c.

The spin test is only indicative ... the towel test is slightly better ... and theres a drawnout process in the factory manual using temp probes and timing lights and stuff ... to get a better indication of the clutch servicability.

FWIW ... if you are unsure of its age or quality ... throw it away and fit a new one that you will feel confident with.

Prices vary dramatically depending on the seller ... but Ive found the one Wooders stocks to be a good allrounder.

As for the radiator ... It may have been replaced "recently" ... but that doesnt mean that there isnt a bunch of junk clogging the lower section.

Whats your actual problem ... high running temp ??? ... overheating ???
To me the vehicle seems to run to hot 103c to 106c on a 20c day driving in moderate traffic,i think it should be around 95c to 100c,its never cooked and ive towed and done big trips up north of 4000km plus, if it didnt have a bloody gauge i probably wouldn't bother,ta.
Old 20-10-2012
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ab56452001 View Post
To me the vehicle seems to run to hot 103c to 106c on a 20c day driving in moderate traffic,i think it should be around 95c to 100c,its never cooked and ive towed and done big trips up north of 4000km plus, if it didnt have a bloody gauge i probably wouldn't bother,ta.
There are two different thermostats commonly in these jeeps, you can get one to run a little cooler but 105 isn't extreme in any case.