Building Diffs - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > Technical
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-02-2013
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Building Diffs

looking at building a set of diffs for my TJ like the idea of dana60's

-where do i start looking
-what year model should i be looking for
-what wear should i be looking for
-what width is recommended

apart from gears, lockers, CA brackets, spring mounts what else is involved?

cheers
06TJ,long arms with 5inch rear stretch,35's,cage,re-spray,highfenders,teralow,4:88's F&R ARB Lockers
Old 06-02-2013
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 606 Times in 359 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vin18u View Post
looking at building a set of diffs for my TJ like the idea of dana60's

-where do i start looking
-what year model should i be looking for
-what wear should i be looking for
-what width is recommended

apart from gears, lockers, CA brackets, spring mounts what else is involved?

cheers
I believe Wooders can get bolt in D60's if you really think you need one.

Regards A
Old 06-02-2013
No Winching

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yeh purpose built new 60s are the go, Except dollars is the only downside.

width to keep it legal would be 63 inch wms to wms, 65 inch starts to get hard to fit under a 7 inch flare.

i think stock are around 60 inch.

Aftermarket 60s are 65 inch or wider in most cases..
Old 06-02-2013
SwampDigger

Liked 34 Times in 19 Posts

You'll pay $500-$1000 for a stock, old dirty D60 rear out of a chevy or similar, and close to double that for a front.... iF you can find one. There is a importer of us trucks and parts outside of Euroa Vic whi may source on for you, can't recall his name right now. He also brings in Yukon gears and parts.

Ian C in Qld had a d60 front, I think he wanted about 1500 for it a while back. Was selling it with a 14 bolt rear, both were about 67" wms I think. Way wide.

As far as what to look for, almost any D60 you find will be way to wide for a tj, wrong stud pattern, probably open centre, too tall gears, rusty and covered in filth, probably missing outer bits.....

Then cut them down to suit your required width. Then fit new hubs, bearings, brakes, spindles to front to suit your stud pattern, outer C's. Mod your steering links to suit, find a suitable pitman arm etc, or convert all to hi steer.
Then gears, lockers, mod tailshafts. Fab and weld on suspension and panhard brackets. Diff covers, brake lines, and get new cro mo axles cut to suit width, and rear axle flanges drilled to suit font stud pattern.... And find suitable rear brake drums to go over stud pattern.

Probably forgotten a few things in that.

It will cost a bomb, and take a while.

Buds customs in Qld can build a really good diff based on a patrol centre member in a fabricated housing, with either 80 series outers or Dana 60 C's and kingpin set up. Maybe ring them about costs, but again, not cheap.

Or...

But some dynatracs from JeepKonnection/ pro comp, or some Terraflex units from DBOR, either of which will come to your specs, and bolt straight it.

Budget for Up to $15k for bolt ins, cheaper for build your own.

Or..

Sell your tj, buy mine with high pinion disc braked locked geared D44 and D 60 Solid Axle Industries diffs in it already.

Last edited by Richo; 06-02-2013 at 05:55 PM.
Old 06-02-2013
StaunStar

Liked 57 Times in 37 Posts

Read some of the build posts on Pirate4x4 hardcore jeeps for a while. You get the idea.
Very serious mod and you would really need the rest of the jeep to match.
Old 06-02-2013
SwampDigger

Liked 34 Times in 19 Posts

Some pirate builds are way over the top, like who can build diffs capable of handling 1000hp in a 3 ton rig, then bolt them under a stockish Tj. It sometimes looks like a competition who can build the sexiest gear just for the sake of it.

Bigger isn't always better.

But yeah, some good knowledge and inspiration there.
Old 06-02-2013
Lowranger Shocker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

go the buds patrol ones be the best cheapest option ask 450exc he just done it
Post New Thread  Reply