do australian delivered jk's have bigger brakes? - Page 3 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 30-04-2013
MudSplasher

Liked 133 Times in 104 Posts

RDA have pad listing for around $40 onwards for the rear.
I can order them if you need
Old 30-04-2013
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 42 Times in 24 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightMods View Post
RDA have pad listing for around $40 onwards for the rear.
I can order them if you need
Thanks for that midnight mods. I'll take you up on that, but not just yet- have to recover from the expensive servicing first! Perhaps early June? I'll send you a PM then.
Old 30-04-2013
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 809 Times in 466 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)
Default Re: do australian delivered jk's have bigger brakes?

Muddy. Mine were doing the same as in wearing fast. I then got into the habbit of making sure the ESP was disabled every time I went offroad or especially on the beach.

At the 36,000 service I was told they needed replacement urgently, when I questioned that it was changed to within 5000 ks (and they were low, prob 2mm of meat left at the thinnest point).

I eventually replaced them at approx 60,000 and they had not changed much at all. I picked up a set from Quadratec while u was ordering some other bits for abiut $60 for the heavy duty Hawk pads.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 2

2010 JK, then a 2015 KL Trailhawk, now a 2017 GC Trailhawk!

Over 5000 Club
Old 01-05-2013
CrawlerStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaComms View Post
Muddy. Mine were doing the same as in wearing fast. I then got into the habbit of making sure the ESP was disabled every time I went offroad or especially on the beach.

At the 36,000 service I was told they needed replacement urgently, when I questioned that it was changed to within 5000 ks (and they were low, prob 2mm of meat left at the thinnest point).

I eventually replaced them at approx 60,000 and they had not changed much at all. I picked up a set from Quadratec while u was ordering some other bits for abiut $60 for the heavy duty Hawk pads.

Thanks for that Seacomms. Good to know I can hold out a bit longer. I looked yesterday and I reckon about 3mm at the thinnest.

And yes, I'll be hitting that ESP off button a lot more in future. I suspect the hill holding stuff is helping wear them down nicely too - I have a steep drive, and live in a hilly area (it even has 'hills' in the name - bit of a giveaway!) where the traffic lights tend to be on crests.

$60 - is that per wheel, or for a pair? I'm guessing per wheel.
Old 02-05-2013
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: CJ
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddy View Post
Rather than start a new thread I thought I'd hijack this one (sorry!). I've just come back from a dealership service on my '11 and was told the rear brake pads are nearly down to the metal. They wanted $484 for a replacement which is a bit rich, I think, especially considering my current no job status.

Looking at Youtube changing the pads is pretty straightforward. Question is the pads - are they a standard item I can go and pick up from any super cheap-esque shop, or are they a special size/shape?

Also, while I'm good enough with engines I've never fiddled with brakes or suspension. It looks straightforward, but am I letting myself in for a world of hurt doing it myself without any experience?
If you come to a shed night in Moorooka you might find the pads find there way onto the car all by themselves.

Look in the CJ section for details of the Shed nights. All Jeepers welcome.
Old 02-05-2013
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 809 Times in 466 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)
Default Re: do australian delivered jk's have bigger brakes?

$60 for the whole set from the US. Unfortunately as usual half the price they are out here. They seem to have a different retail model in the US to us...

The only issue is they dont come with anything other than some high temp grease to regrease the pins and apply between piston and pad for anti rattle/squeal so any other bits like wear indicators need to be reused.

I ordered the handbrake shoes at the same time and did the lot. Handbrake shoes are a pain in the butt to change (awkward) if you dont remove the axle but is doable. Prob took me a couple of hours to do the lot including swear time and chasing handbrake shoe springs that went flying :banghead:

2010 JK, then a 2015 KL Trailhawk, now a 2017 GC Trailhawk!

Over 5000 Club
Old 02-05-2013
CrawlerStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by VooDoo2 View Post
If you come to a shed night in Moorooka you might find the pads find there way onto the car all by themselves.

Look in the CJ section for details of the Shed nights. All Jeepers welcome.
I saw that in the CJ thread! I might have a few bits to fit to the car and would be deeply appreciative for any help from people more experienced with this kind of stuff than I am.

Your shed nights are on Fridays, yes? Payment in the form of a crate of Spitfire Kentish Ale OK?
Post New Thread  Reply