UHF radio-which? - Page 3 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > KK Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-02-2013
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: KK
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts

Performance wise its more about the antenna. In my paj I have a GME 3340 and in the jeep I have the Icom 440. They give pretty good distance, but I find the icom is much clearer and the one touch quick channel monitor is a boom. Over the years I' ve found that in the aus bush a 1/2 or 1/4 wave raised feed works best for car to car and in open country I use a 1.5 metre whip on my paj and a 1 metre on the jeep (the 1.5 has a 7.2 gain and seems to work best on distance. But if you really need to get out a long way (uhf is not the choice really for long distance) then a roof mount or remote mount on a stick is the go, but then you have to fit a coaxial switch over as well, which can be a bit a of a chore. UHF quality is kinda relative to price as well. The more robust the unit the more the cost. If you need a hand held with power that you can use in the car, have a look at the GME 6200, which is switchable from 1 to 5 watts, series and use an ext antenna on an adapter and car charger, brilliant units and super robust, I use these all the time in my job and you cant kill em with a stick.

Sent from my GT-P6810 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited by CibbyDoc; 01-02-2013 at 10:26 PM.
Old 16-05-2013

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey all didn't feel the need to open a new thread but this is more about aerials, Im getting the GME TX3100 and it comes bundled with a 6.6db fiberglass aerial. The model of the aerial is GME AE4018K2. Anyone had any experience with this aerial with positive feedback on range?

Also here is the ebay link GME tx3100 Pretty good price if anyone is keen!
Old 16-05-2013
Established Member

Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

the GME tx 3345 or something similar are pretty tidy units.

as far as ariels go if you don't want to mount any antennas on the body or bar, you may wan to look at Laser antennas. i have one on my JKU, they are definitly not great on range but are good for convoys and such... last time i think it lasted out around 2-3kms round richmont (nsw).

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-Laser...#ht_2206wt_992

just a breif overview, it 25cm long and needs to be stuck vertically and 150mm from the edge of the window/windscreen. and not next to any demisters or other fm antennas.

If you like I can upload a pic of mine later tonight?
Old 16-05-2013

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark View Post
the GME tx 3345 or something similar are pretty tidy units.

as far as ariels go if you don't want to mount any antennas on the body or bar, you may wan to look at Laser antennas. i have one on my JKU, they are definitly not great on range but are good for convoys and such... last time i think it lasted out around 2-3kms round richmont (nsw).

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-Laser...#ht_2206wt_992

just a breif overview, it 25cm long and needs to be stuck vertically and 150mm from the edge of the window/windscreen. and not next to any demisters or other fm antennas.

If you like I can upload a pic of mine later tonight?
Is that the unit with the display on the mic? not to fond of that sort of unit but thanks for that.

Also I have seen those laser uhf units I think there great but I still would like a 6db aerial. Although wouldnt hurt to carry both right? for $50 could always swap the leads when I need to.

Cheers for that, wouldn't mind a pic btw would love to see how it looks.

Cheers
Old 18-05-2013
Established Member

Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Sorry I didn't realise it was an old thread... I don't know about either of those two product to give you feedback... BUt I havn't heard a bad word spoken about them.
Old 18-05-2013
Established Member

Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Old 19-05-2013
AJOR Silver

What Jeep do I drive?: KK
Liked 110 Times in 80 Posts

Hey Clark, your UHF was crystal compared to everyone else's from what I was receiving at Mt Airly. Btw, here's a pic of my setup installed a few weeks back.

Last edited by KKnut; 19-05-2013 at 11:05 PM.
Post New Thread  Reply