Queensland drivers? - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > GENERAL > Off Topic Chitchat
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 19-08-2013
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: KJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Queensland drivers?

I have a story to share but first... What's up with QLD drivers???

Over the past 25 years, I've driven all over the World in everything from trucks to tractors, on motorbikes to pushbikes, in right & left hand drive transports on both sides of the road & chalked up a few K's in every Australian state, both city and country.
With that said, two things bear mentioning, 1.) I know something about driving and 2.) Without a doubt and IMHO, QLD drivers take the global title of 'Total Shockers!', hands down!

I have to deal with them regularly across the border.
Almost as soon as that border is crossed, something changes for the worse. For tens of K's, QLD drivers generally sit in the right lane, driving at exactly the same speed (usually way under the speed limit) as the driver to their left, thereby blocking all traffic from overtaking. The car on the left slows down, the driver in the right slows down too. They speed up, guess what happens? No dice grandma!

However, if for some odd reason, they are actually in the left hand lane and see you approaching to overtake, they won't have it and pull out in front of you at the last second. Naturally they then drive at the same speed as the car next to them in the left lane so that you can't pass. If you hit the horn or flash your lights to see if they are actually aware of you being there, you'll usually get the finger in return.
Everyone knows it and so Queenslander's will inevitably deny it and/or blame Victorians, aliens, crop circles, the other guy etc, whatever...

Also, what's up with so many cops in QLD issuing fines, so many cameras on downhill sections of road, stealthy parking rangers and other generally obvious revenue traps? I haven't run afoul of them yet but I see this all-the-time and how motorists are having their wallets fleeced. The equivalent of being sentenced to becoming a hard-labour bound convict in Australia for stealing a loaf of bread.
I thought that Victoria held the title of "Police State'. etc. etc. etc.

It's funny you know, the whole QLD drive scenario repeated just last month on my way into Southport near Surfers Parardise to collect a pinion seal for the Dana-30 front end diff. It has a happy ending. Read on...

After just another routine QLD driver pulled out in front of me like a rabbit and cut me off, I blew the horn to see if he was actually aware that I was there. So he pulled over to the left but as soon as I had passed he pulled erratically right back in behind me, so close that I could see his windscreen wipers.
He then followed me this way for about 20k's, swerving, blowing his horn and flashing his lights all the way. When I turned off the highway onto Smith Street, knucklehead did too and this continued on for a while. I couldn't believe that for the first time in history, I had copped every green light right into the thick of it.

Then, finally it happened... I stopped at a red light on busy Ashmore road... It was about midday.

Let me just say that I'm a patient guy and it takes me a long time to get worked up, especially when it comes to dickheads. What makes for such a warm, fuzzy ending was seeing the sheer terror on his mono-browed face that followed when I unclipped from the seatbelt and unfurled my 6'7", 138kg shaven headed bodybuilders frame from the front of my Jeep (see, it is about a Jeep after all) and walked straight up to his car, which was jammed right up my quoit and still blowing it's annoying horn.

The apes carrot topped passenger, who looked like he need a wash with a Guerney, looked at me wide-eyed and without breaking eye contact, pointed sideways at his 'mate' behind the wheel. I wrapped my knuckles on the drivers window and sneered "Get out of the f***stick". The little wuss locked the doors and in an uncoordinated urgent fumble, banged his Camry s***box into reverse and hit the accelerator, put it back into drive and executed an out-of-control U-turn... straight into the side of a bus.

Beautiful stuff. The car next to me at the lights (2 x guys and 2 x girls) wound down their windows and started clapping/laughing & said that they couldn't believe that they just saw the whole thing. I later told police that the driver was behaving suspiciously and that it would probably be a good idea to both them and the car over.

So, anyway, back to the point... Any one else notice this issue of terminal 'Pork Chops' in the northern state? I reckon that they're suffering from a terminal state of what I call 'Only person in the world syndrome...
Old 19-08-2013
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Re: Queensland drivers?

Welcome to QUEENSLAND! The Sunshine state. that would consist of a normal routine day, here in brisbane.

Its a good thing nobody ********s with you when your car towers over theirs. Point the car, and shoot, people generally get out of your way.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2
Old 19-08-2013
CrawlerStar

Liked 51 Times in 28 Posts

being a rep on the road, ive found that these idiots are everywhere.
you just found the QLD red-nek looser variety.
Reverse is a handy tool when there is no one else around esp when your in a big 4wd with enough rear end protection.
silly bugga obviously ran up my ass & took off mr police man.
Old 19-08-2013
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Always love a happy ending.

But couldn't agree more. I drove up to QLD from NSW central coast about a month ago.

After driving most of the way incident free not 5mins over the borders (I was just out of the tunnel on the motorway near the airport for anyone that knows it) and had some clown decide he liked my lane better then his.

I was right beside him so the side indicator on my JK was pretty much at his eye level but nope, blinker on and come straight across.

Something I soon learnt in my week up there was not uncommon. Apparently a blinker means I am coming straight across and to hell with anyone there. Thankfully I was bigger then the cars which tried it and they soon knew I was there.
Old 19-08-2013
AJOR Gold

Liked 44 Times in 37 Posts

It's called "revenge" for the winter migratory dickheads towing caravans and driving winnibago's that we have to put up with every bloody year, driving as close to the white line as possible and ignoring their mirrors. Go for a drive on any regional/country road during winter and you will soon see what I mean.
Old 19-08-2013
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,334 Posts

Only find it on the coast, must be all the Victorians that migrate here though I do find that people from Toowoomba, Dubbo and Shepperton seem to drive the same must be the country air and it can be scary.

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.
Old 19-08-2013
AJOR Bronze

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts

I was born and grew up in Sydney. Spent the first 35 years of my life there and then moved to Brissy. So, I totally understand and agree with each of your points.hiwever, a few points to note:
1) They say 5,000 people a month move to Sth east Qld. So at that rate, a large number of drivers on the road are imports (Like me). Hopefully, we can breed that style if driving out of this lovely state.
2) Sounds like your a very large man but the suburbs you me toned are suburbs I would suggest you NOT take a physical or aggressive approach. Bikie wars in that area and even the biggest toughest dudes are useless against bullets!
3) I am a Paramedic and I love my job but I'm quite happy to have quiet days at work. Regardless of how terrible the drivers here are, can I just ask to be patient? Trust me I know they suck and they deserve an arse kicking. Mate, I was a doorman in Sydney for 9 years in places like General Bourke Paramatta, Uncle Bucks Mt Druitt and a few in Kings Cross but its easier to laugh at them.

I have also found it great to fit an LED light bar across the very front bar. That gets accidentally, flicked on at times. They hate it!!

Anyways, enjoy our lovely state. Hope you don't come across too many bogans and stay safe brother!!