Do anyone know the Reserve capacity in the WK2 GC v6 Pentastar? - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 27-09-2013
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Do anyone know the Reserve capacity in the WK2 GC v6 Pentastar?

I am getting confused lately. My economy shows 10.3/100L (9.70 km/L) and to empty shows approx 740km. The GC got 93L tank as per JEEP advertising and manual, and filling up in fuel pump never crossed more than 75L .

With a average display of 9.70km/L , a 93L tank should show 9.70x93=902km to empty.

Does this mean the GC for 20L of reserve fuel area?
Old 27-09-2013
Established Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hi Sandeep ... Have you ever seen the low fuel warning come up? At that point you have around 10 litres left (well that's the case on my CRD WK2), which is about 90-100km in traffic.

The Distance To Empty is always understated when you fill up, but tends to get slightly more accurate as the tank of fuel get consumed.

There's a Top Gear episode where they take three cars from Switzerland to Blackpool in England on a single tank of fuel. One of the cars is a Jag that was showing distance to empty of 0 for the last leg of the race. However once they checked it afterwards, it still had enough fuel for close to 200kms.
Old 27-09-2013
AJOR Gold

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 194 Times in 122 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)
Default Do anyone know the Reserve capacity in the WK2 GC v6 Pentastar?

To think the 'distance to empty' on the dashboard is an estimate based on previous fills of how far you are able to travel before you are likely to fill again, not necessarily a calculation on the remaining fuel in the tank.

For example, I have tested my distance to empty on a previous 4wd and while it was telling me I only had 3km to empty, I continued another 85km before nervousness of choking on the side of the road got the better of me and I stopped to fill up.

Easier way to figure out your L/100 or km/L is to reset (one of) your trip meter every time you fill your tank. If you put 70L in and you travel 700km then you could say for that tank of fuel, you got 10L/100 average consumption over that tank. The next tank might calculate differently. If you have two trip meters and you want to figure out an entire journey, eg a trip away that took two and a half tanks of fuel, when you get home, fill your tank, add up the number of liters used, compare to the full holiday trip meter and you will show your average consumption.
Old 27-09-2013

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I drove from Longreach to Winton with the fuel light on...(not on purpose). When i got to Winton i put 92 Litres into it. It's about 180Klms but the fuel light came on 30Klms out of Longreach.
Old 27-09-2013
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It does fill like the Pentastar GC have 10-20L of reserve and the calculator ignore those extra litres while calculating. I tried other ways, like fill the tank, drive around and then refill the tank and calculate the average. It is not much different than the computer.

I normally fill tank when the red gauge is at its lowest bar but low fuel indicator is not yet on, i end up filling 70-75L at max.
Post New Thread  Reply