How hard is it to swap an outo for a manual - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-10-2013
No Winching

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 504 Times in 291 Posts

Different ECU... and then you have the programming issues of VIN etc etc otherwise the car just won't run. Like you i've got all the bits ( and an auto ECU ) but I'm just putting it off until the manual finally breaks. One day... perhaps.

Not impossible - its been done in the states before (3.8 four speed) but in reality the hardware is the least of the issues.

If my understanding of the Chrysler service software ( necessary to reflash the ECU to be compatible with other existing vehicle ECU's ) is correct it apparently has access to vehicle specs so getting it to flash a setup that it considers "wrong" is a big deal and may be beyond the technical capability and probably level of interest of a dealer.

Your best option is to get an aftermarket transmission controller but they are far from cheap so..... if your serious just buy a auto JK in the first place.
Old 01-10-2013
RubiconSlammer

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 821 Times in 362 Posts

ive done Auto to manual in a XJ and a VX commodore with no issues.

the auto computer will still be there, so if you bridge the park and neutral wires (so the car thinks its in park) and run the earth from the auto plug to the body the car is just going to think its in park/ neutral and will run fine.
Old 02-10-2013
Established Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Er no one has asked, but why do you want a manual, many people on this site are pro auto. Have you got a Diesel or Petrol.
Me, I chose a manual.
Old 02-10-2013
No Winching

Liked 504 Times in 291 Posts

Things have moved on... the auto is actively monitored nowdays....... hack solutions just won't work. Auto's aren't just mechanical systems with a few switches... they are totally controlled and monitored by the electronics, and when they don't like what they find they will let you know big time.

Just one example... how are you going to generate the transmission fluid pressure signal and ensure its credible in regards to transmission rpm ?

No - its going to require the correct ECU and some reprogramming
Old 02-10-2013

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudmonster View Post
ive done Auto to manual in a XJ and a VX commodore with no issues.

the auto computer will still be there, so if you bridge the park and neutral wires (so the car thinks its in park) and run the earth from the auto plug to the body the car is just going to think its in park/ neutral and will run fine.
How does the kilometre count take place if the car thinks it's in park/neutral? I thought the count these days was apart of the ECU or whatever.
Post New Thread  Reply