Check Oil Level on VM/Motori Diesel - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 22-10-2013
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: WK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Check Oil Level on VM/Motori Diesel

I have a new (7,000Km) MY2013 Laredo Diesel and need some pointers on how to check the oil level. I don't believe I'm stupid although some may disagree!
When the motor is cold in the morning and I remove the dipstick the level shows below the minimum. If I wipe the dipstick and dip it again the oil comes right up the flat part of the dipstick? Which is the correct level?
I've asked Jeep who have indicated the level is okay but I'm not convinced.
Will a new motor burn oil? I asked a fellow owner in a caravan park one day and he said he never checks the oil between services. Perhaps I should do that!
On another matter is it normal for the transmission to shift down to fourth when slowing down at traffic lights? It seems to do it around 50 Kph.

Any advice/comments would be much appreciated.
Old 22-10-2013
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hi Maygs,

Welcome aboard.

There's some sort of air lock thing with the VM Motori diesel dipstick. They all do the same thing. The 2nd reading is the correct one.

You will find that if you just pull the dipstick slightly to break the air seal, re-insert it for a few seconds and then pull it out to take the reading, it should be up on the mark.

Mine never burnt oil since new, so I wouldnt expect that. Unleaded petrol engines are somewhat different and may do so.

Regarding the shift down, it might be the torque converter unlocking as it comes to a stop. It can sound the same as a shift down.
Old 22-10-2013
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savvas View Post
Hi Maygs,

Welcome aboard.

There's some sort of air lock thing with the VM Motori diesel dipstick. They all do the same thing. The 2nd reading is the correct one.

You will find that if you just pull the dipstick slightly to break the air seal, re-insert it for a few seconds and then pull it out to take the reading, it should be up on the mark.

Mine never burnt oil since new, so I wouldnt expect that. Unleaded petrol engines are somewhat different and may do so.

Regarding the shift down, it might be the torque converter unlocking as it comes to a stop. It can sound the same as a shift down.
Hi Savvas,
Thanks for this information - I'll give it a go. I was scared that I was running with low oil but seems like I'm okay. I may have confused the transmission issue mentioning the stop lights. If I'm doing 60 Kph the car will be in 5th. If I take my foot off the accelerator and not apply the brakes the car will shift into 4th once the car has slowed to around 50 Kph. Could it be the transmission keeping the revs in the optimal range?
Old 22-10-2013
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maygs View Post
Hi Savvas,
Thanks for this information - I'll give it a go. I was scared that I was running with low oil but seems like I'm okay. I may have confused the transmission issue mentioning the stop lights. If I'm doing 60 Kph the car will be in 5th. If I take my foot off the accelerator and not apply the brakes the car will shift into 4th once the car has slowed to around 50 Kph. Could it be the transmission keeping the revs in the optimal range?
I just came back from driving mine and I consciously tried to observe this but I didnt notice it occur. So I'm not sure.

Is it on a grade or a flat piece of road when you notice this? I know mine drops a gear on its own when it is coasting down a grade so as to stop excessive speed building up.
Old 22-10-2013
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savvas View Post
I just came back from driving mine and I consciously tried to observe this but I didnt notice it occur. So I'm not sure.

Is it on a grade or a flat piece of road when you notice this? I know mine drops a gear on its own when it is coasting down a grade so as to stop excessive speed building up.
Thanks again Savvas,
I've noticed it when on a flat piece of road. I am also aware that the transmission does function a bit differently once it has warmed up. I also think I' became aware of it after putting on quite a few country miles recently - both with and without a caravan in tow. I'll keep my eye on things and mention it to Jeep at the next service if it continues.

Regards
Old 22-10-2013
CrawlerStar

Liked 144 Times in 90 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maygs View Post
Hi Savvas,
Hi Maygs,
You are right in your reasoning.....
These transmissions are pretty smart and all the systems are monitored by the various management components, so as to maximise performance and economy.
As you are coasting with a closed throttle the gearbox is simply dropping a gear as the speed slows so as to be ready and in the correct gear for the speed when you do open the throttle again.
The gearbox control module will learn your driving habits and adjust shift points accordingly.
If you have a look here it will give you a pretty good overview of the transmission and how it should behave. http://www.wk2jeeps.com/wk2_transm.htm
Plenty to look at from the home screen of this site as well.
John
Old 22-10-2013
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JnK View Post
Hi Maygs,
You are right in your reasoning.....
These transmissions are pretty smart and all the systems are monitored by the various management components, so as to maximise performance and economy.
As you are coasting with a closed throttle the gearbox is simply dropping a gear as the speed slows so as to be ready and in the correct gear for the speed when you do open the throttle again.
The gearbox control module will learn your driving habits and adjust shift points accordingly.
If you have a look here it will give you a pretty good overview of the transmission and how it should behave. http://www.wk2jeeps.com/wk2_transm.htm
Plenty to look at from the home screen of this site as well.
John
Thanks John,
I feel more comfortable now thanks to your information and that from Savvas. The car is too smart by far!

Regards