Auto gearbox operating temp - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > KJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 22-10-2013
I understand

What Jeep do I drive?: KJ
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Auto gearbox operating temp

Hi all

After having a few auto transmission overheating issues 4wding in my petrol KJ I upgraded the oil cooler. Back from a weekend at Moreton and it still overheated in soft sand.

I'm going to install a thermo fan in front of the cooler now. Has anyone done this, without just buying a cooler with the fan built in? I've found a couple Craig Davies ones on ebay whose switch temp can range from 45 -99 degrees. Haven't bought anything yet but just wondering how I find out what temp I should set it to, as I don't want to over cool it and have it running all the time (possibly leading to more wear?).

Alternatively I can just wire in a switch under the dash and switch on the fan when I know it's going to struggle (I.e. Soft sand driving), but thought a thermo switch would be better.
Old 25-10-2013
I understand

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Ok, after hours looking, I cannot find a fan that'll fit in the small space between the oil cooler and grill. I also don't necessarily wish to be relocating it elsewhere to fit a fan....so.....I had an idea of wiring up a number of small CPU fans onto some sort of mounting bracket and putting them in front of the cooler.....

Thoughts? Not ideal, but at least say 3-4 CPU fans should provide enough airflow for the cooler. Water will be the main problem but I'm thinking I'll only mount them when doing sand driving or heavy towing. If I build a bracket well, it hopefully won't be too much of an issue to remove.....
Old 25-10-2013
AJOR Silver

Liked 171 Times in 115 Posts

I have used a small 12V computer fan placed in front of my B&M transmission oil cooler on some occassions - nomally when the vehicle is operating at crawl speed when offroad, or when towing in traffic. It was setup to be a pusher fan to get air flow through the B&M plate cooler. I still carry it in my drawer unit in case I need it. I attached it in two ways depending on how long I thought I might need to use it:
1. small cable ties through the screw mount holes in the fan chassis and around the black fins in the grill; 2. and more often used, small elastic bungy cord type connectors with slip grip plastic ends (they sell these in Bunnings in the electrical section, they are black cord with green plastic ends).

This solution is not water proof, but if its raining you should not need it operating anyway. It does involve some fooling around mounting it (on the outside of the grill for ease) but if your going beach driving, or something like that it doesn't take long).

BTW, even though I carry it, I have not used it in over a year as I have not found a situation where the transmission temp became a worry.

I run two transmission temp sensors through a two way switch to a gauge on my instrument panel, this allows me to switch back and forth and actually see what effect the auxilliary cooler is having on the temperature. I tapped into the cooler return line just after the stock cooler and inserted one sensor there, the other sensor is tapped into my transmission pan and also serves as a fluid drain when needed. I bought my sensors from ProSport gauges along with a gauge, switch from Jaycar. I usually see about a 30-40C drop across the coolers on a hot day when moving.

Target transmission temp according to B&M, never let it get over 180F (82C) and you should never have a transmission problem. I have my gauge alarm set for 170F (76C).
Old 04-11-2013
I understand

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Thanks Glend. I actually bought a motorbike fan to mount permanently. Doesn't fit in front of the cooler in its current location so I'm going to have to go about relocating it slightly. I'll take some pics and post when done