Which muffler on the 4.7? - Page 4 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > ZJ WJ WG Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 20-12-2013
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WG
Liked 342 Times in 221 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

I appreciate your thoughts on this for sure TM, and thank thee for posting.

I highly doubt it will cause us grief, but I def don't want others to do it. Just in case they keep theirs stuck in a bog like this or so, and it does indeed get pumped into the cabin, before they think.

Last edited by Hoobz; 20-12-2013 at 01:21 PM.
Old 21-12-2013
Jedi Master

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 919 Times in 625 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoobz View Post

sounds a bit like a drunk bassoonist [COLOR="black"][COLOR="black"][COLOR="Indigo"]

Why can't we just like boring crap ordinary shit? So much simpler and easier on the pockets.

Dear Santa...

Bassoon... Had to look it up . More like a euro didgeridoo eh.

Boring ordinary.... Time for dual electric cutouts....
Old 22-12-2013
CrawlerStar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I bought an Ironrock offroad 3 inch cat back and upgraded it to the superflow 40 muffler.
It came with both the generic and the 40 muffler and I tried them both. The 40 is definitely the best! very quiet at idle, not too loud at cruising round town (just enough to hint it is a V but when you get up it, it sounds superb.....deep, burbling, with a hint of crackle between changes. If you see a cop etc, you go back to cruising and they don't look twice.
I highly recommend the Superflow 40, and I have had many v8's in my past. trust me, that muffler, the 3 inch cat back, all on the Jeep 4.7 V8 sounds fantastic. My friends dubbed it the librarian exhaust system....quiet and reserved until it is let loose
Old 22-12-2013
CrawlerStar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

p.s having an exhaust that finishes before the most rear opening door/window or boot......is illegal. Every policeman/woman is taught this as a basic for defects.
thats why utes get away with exhaust's exiting in front of the rear wheels (or through stupid stacks like they want to be mack trucks lol)
If you have a dodgy window or tailgate seal, it WILL suck fumes into the cabin. The fun thing with Carbon Monoxide (CO) is you can't smell it, taste it or see it......you just fall asleep at the wheel.....
Food for thought.
Old 22-12-2013
Full Flexer

Check out my Ride(s)

Come on man. Illegal?

Is everything on your jeep legal? It better be after pulling the legal card.

Find a few deaths that were proven to be the fault of a turned down muffler outlet. Where they weren't sitting in the car idling for hours. Where they weren't alcohol effected to begin with, where they weren't in a dumb ass situation and should have turned the car off.

Exhaust fumes are highly noticeable in a cab. And there quite a few signs to look out for, well before you fall asleep. Just as obvious as having to turn around a tree and not straight into it.

For the amount of CO needed to make you fall asleep there would definitely be fumes and pre warners.

Do you know what comes in through your windscreen air damn straight into the cab when you are in heavy stop start traffic?

If a turn down is not for you then don't do it.

More danger is facing the ********wit drunk coming the other way around here. Don't drive at all even.

To make all the nannies feel better, I am off to get a CO detector. Let you know the results and if it goes off. Fun to test anyway. Do a little Mythbusters scenario and see what it takes to get it to go off in the GC. Might be surprised.

People don't realise that open fireplaces can pump CO through your whole house just by burning firewood. Worry just as much about open fireplaces and gas stoves as a turn down outlet on a muffler.

Hey I can see the cop now, ''I will overlook the 6' lift, 35's and winch out the front like that, but we don't like the turn down that actually sounds to be quite ok...'' Come on. Seriously. It's got no chance with the wrong cop from the get go.

Last edited by Hoobz; 22-12-2013 at 05:57 PM.
Old 22-12-2013
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 440 Times in 265 Posts

Hoobz,
The photo you posted shows more than a "turned down exhaust" .....the tailpipe is in front of the rear diff FFS.
Old 22-12-2013
Full Flexer

Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troutman View Post
Hoobz,
The photo you posted shows more than a "turned down exhaust" .....the tailpipe is in front of the rear diff FFS.
Not denying that Troutie. It's quite common.

Hey, I am not going to die by co poisoning. Chill.

Let me do some testing. If I get results...that don't support my arguments...I will not report back

We don't want others doing it though do we? Don't do it folks.

Don't reverse for too long either...cos you'll die of co poisoning. Don't park idling in a car too long, when there is a tail wind either...cos you'll die of co poisoning. Don't be the 28th rider of a group of slow riding dirt bikes in tight bush...you'll die. Not gunna happen.

I am not going to die.

Last edited by Hoobz; 22-12-2013 at 07:53 PM.
Post New Thread  Reply